Refrigerating Wilton's Yucky Fondant?

Decorating By 4theloveofcake Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm by 4theloveofcake

4theloveofcake Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 9

hey everyone

so i got a last minute request for a cake, and she wants fondant. my mixer broke last time i made a batch of fondant, and i don't have time to order any good tasting fondant so i'm stuck with using wilton's gross fondant. i warned my friend that the fondant tastes gross but she said they can peel it off and that she just wants it for the look. so anyways, has anyone refrigerated wilton's fondant? i'm just worried it will sweat.. but i want to refrigerate because of the chocolate fudge buttercream underneath. any ideas/tips?

thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

8 replies
SuzyNoQ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 9

I have never used a mixer when I have made fondant and it turned out fine. I have used bot mmf and a rolled buttercream fondant. Is there any way you can make it without the mixer? Maybe you could do a small test batch of fondant without the mixer and then if it turns out make more.

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 9

You can fridge it fine. When you take it howver, be prepared to possibly see a lot of condensation. Do not try to mop it up, or rub it off, or touch it in any manner whatsoever. Let it be, put a fan on it, make sure the air is on, and it will be dry and normal in no time.

4theloveofcake Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 9

if i take it out and let it air dry, will i still be able to put luster dust on it like normal?

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 9

Yes. Has to be completely dry or it will streak though.

4theloveofcake Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 9

oh okay awesome. i'm just worried because i've heard of fondant "melting" from being in the fridge

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 9

Figurines and things that stick out can droop, for sure, but fondant covering and stripes and accent pieces are just fine.

sjmoral Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:27am
post #8 of 9

Most bakeries that carry supplies sell other brands of fondant. Just a thought...

4theloveofcake Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 9

so i'm really in a pickle! i'm obviously new to cake decorating =)

anyways, i made a filling/frosting that needs to be refrigerated. the cake is due for tomorrow and i have gumpaste roses that i need to put on top of the cake (but can't put in the fridge). what do i do when my friend picks it up and its completely decorated with the roses on top, but she can't put it in the fridge because the roses will 'melt'?? help asap!

(i tried making a crusting chocolate buttercream recipe but i didnt like the taste at all icon_sad.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%