Help With Baking!

Decorating By singinglark Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm by alwaysbridal

singinglark Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 3

I hope this won't be a double post...

I am baking my first wedding cake - due Saturday. The bride wants 3 tiers - square - each tier with 2- 2" layers with filling in between. I have the Fat Daddio's square pans - sizes are 10x10x2, 8x8x2 and 6x6x2. I baked the first set of cakes last night, using a core in the 10x10 and they all baked uneven. I have low sides (not 2") and a high middle. How can I fix this? How can I get the cakes to bake evenly? I followed the Fat Daddio's batter capacity chart to a "T" - measured out the right amount for each pan.

I did "press" the cakes last night to make them more even - put the pan on top with a weight in it and that helped but when I level them, they are not going to be 2" layers...HELP!!

2 replies
bashini Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 3

Hi, I haven't used cores in my cakes. I always use flower nails and sometimes wet towel method. Don't put lot of batter in the middle. Push it to the sides a bit. Sorry not much of a help! icon_smile.gif

alwaysbridal Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 3

I first wrap my pans with the wilton insulater wraps. ( I think thats what they are called) they are long strips of silver fabric. You wet them before applying them to the pan with a straight pin.They make my cakes so even I dont even need to crown the cakes. Then I give the cake filled pans a few smacks on the counter insert a greased flower nail, with the sharp nail end pointing up and flat side down against the bottom of the pan. This always works well for me. Plus make sure your cake has cooled a while before removing it from pan. This is how I do it and I'm happy to say I've been liucky so far. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%