Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By mannjc Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 4:13pm by Peridot

mannjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannjc Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 3

I wanted to start dabbling in gumpaste flowers and I saw a kit at michaels with an instruction book and different cut out shapes. Has anyone used this kit to get familiar with gumpaste? Are they really as difficult as they seem to make or is it just a lot of practice? Would love any and all opinions icon_smile.gif

2 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 3

Hi, sorry I don't know anything about the aprticular ki you have mentioned. But I highly recommend Alan Dunn's books for flower making. If you have a look on Ebay, you might be able to buy some quite cheap. The other thing that I recommend is Michele Foster's " Bloomin' Garden" video. Here is the link,

http://www.lickthespoonproductions.com/home.htm

And like you said, you need to practice to be perfect. icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 3

Yes, I purchased that kit and it is very helpful and I still use many of the cutters. If you are a beginner that would be the way to go. If you have a Michael's near you be sure to use a 40% or 50% coupon on your purchase. The book included with the set does give very good instructions.

Of course it takes practice, practice! Start with something that you know that you can do. If you have questions or get stuck post on CC and someone will help you.

I also use the pre-made Wilton gumpaste (use coupon on that also) and like it alot and many CC'ers use it also. Many make their own but I don't have the time and I don't want to mess with making it and have had excellent results with Wiltons ready made. I only do cakes as a hobby and this serves my purpose and I seal up what I don't use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%