Cake Recipe Dense Enough To Hold Fondant?

Decorating By 4theloveofcake Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 7:29pm by Rylan

4theloveofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4theloveofcake Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 4

hey everyone.. i am sure this question has been asked before but i can't seem to find an answer.. is anyone able to give me a great tasting white cake (preferably) or chocolate cake recipe that holds fondant really well? the recipe i've been using tastes good but i just cant get it to look smooth the entire night.. nobody notices but me, but it annoys me haha. anyways, i have to bake the cake today so if anyone has a really good recipe they use for a cake that will be covered in fondant, it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

3 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 4

I would recommend WASC - White Almond Sour Cream if you want a cake mix based cake. It's in the recipe section and dense enough to hold up fondant. If you don't want the almond flavour, just add more vanilla instead, which is what I do.

Although, I've used straight cake mixes and they work fine. HTH

4theloveofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4theloveofcake Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 4

hey thanks for your reply! i made a similar cake i think? i found a recipe on here and it called for the following:

1 box cake mix
1/2 cup water
4 egg whites
1 cup sour cream
1 package of vanilla pudding mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil

its baking in the oven right now.. do you think it will hold up?

thanks again icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 4

Some people use straight box mix with no problems. I suggest you try the original WASC recipe by kakeladi. I think your recipe would hold up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%