Help W/caramel Frosting

Decorating By Moniquea Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 3:46am by dandelion56602

Moniquea Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hi!

I just tried making caramel frosting for the first time... but it's important I get it right bc its for my first wedding cake on Saturday.

It's Grainy...

I cooked brown sugar and heavy cream on a double boiler but didn't get above 160 on the candy therm. and decided to deal with it in the a.m.

After researching caramel I put the mix directly on the heat with butter to a rolling boil and around 200 degrees. Less grainy. The recipe did not call for cooking the sugar but I thought it would melt the sugar... of course I couldn't wait and added the shortening and powdered sugar... Large clumps of brown sugar - horrified I decided to be patient and threw it in the freezer... it worked after several mixes and trips into the freezer.

It's come together nicely, I added cinnamon with the powdered sugar, but its still grainy/crunchy despite its delicious creamy consistancy...

Please help! I think I should try again or is it supposed to be like that? Another recipe? icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif Help!!! TIA!

4 replies
Polkadot79 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 5

I've made caramel frosting several times. I don't recall mine every being crunchy or grainy. The initial grainy texture may have been because you didn't cook it long enough. I recall it takes ALOT of patience. icon_biggrin.gif
Not sure about the crunchiness besides it overcooked and turned into hard candy?

steplite Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 5

The two I use that come out are Paula Deen's "Jamie caramel cake"(might be Bobby's caramel can't remember) And the Cake Mix doctor's caramel. It's the one on the Banana cake.

steplite Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 5

The two I use that come out are Paula Deen's "Jamie caramel cake"(might be Bobby's caramel can't remember) And the Cake Mix doctor's caramel. It's the one on the Banana cake.

dandelion56602 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #5 of 5

I too use the Cake Mix Dr's recipe. it should not be grainy at all---I'm thinking water getting into the sugar while cooking causes this! It will develop a crust (very slight) once it sets up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%