Help W/caramel Frosting

Decorating By Moniquea Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 3:46am by dandelion56602

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hi!

I just tried making caramel frosting for the first time... but it's important I get it right bc its for my first wedding cake on Saturday.

It's Grainy...

I cooked brown sugar and heavy cream on a double boiler but didn't get above 160 on the candy therm. and decided to deal with it in the a.m.

After researching caramel I put the mix directly on the heat with butter to a rolling boil and around 200 degrees. Less grainy. The recipe did not call for cooking the sugar but I thought it would melt the sugar... of course I couldn't wait and added the shortening and powdered sugar... Large clumps of brown sugar - horrified I decided to be patient and threw it in the freezer... it worked after several mixes and trips into the freezer.

It's come together nicely, I added cinnamon with the powdered sugar, but its still grainy/crunchy despite its delicious creamy consistancy...

Please help! I think I should try again or is it supposed to be like that? Another recipe? icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif Help!!! TIA!

4 replies
Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 5

I've made caramel frosting several times. I don't recall mine every being crunchy or grainy. The initial grainy texture may have been because you didn't cook it long enough. I recall it takes ALOT of patience. icon_biggrin.gif
Not sure about the crunchiness besides it overcooked and turned into hard candy?

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 5

The two I use that come out are Paula Deen's "Jamie caramel cake"(might be Bobby's caramel can't remember) And the Cake Mix doctor's caramel. It's the one on the Banana cake.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 5

The two I use that come out are Paula Deen's "Jamie caramel cake"(might be Bobby's caramel can't remember) And the Cake Mix doctor's caramel. It's the one on the Banana cake.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #5 of 5

I too use the Cake Mix Dr's recipe. it should not be grainy at all---I'm thinking water getting into the sugar while cooking causes this! It will develop a crust (very slight) once it sets up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%