Tips For Cleanup....

Decorating By lthiele Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 12:58pm by Rylan

lthiele Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 7

After many years of thinking about it - I have decided to start selling cakes from home. Having found CC I am on it every spare minute, devouring the wisdom like a sponge! I spent most of the day "experimenting" with recipes and am halfway through my first Frozen Buttercream Transfer. My kitchen is trashed!

My husband just walked in to find me again cruising the forums - my new favourite hobby - and said "WOW, has anyone posted a video on how to clean up AFTER you make the cakes!"

I just want to do the fun part! lol
Lauren icon_razz.gif

6 replies
Limpy Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 7

One tip that I use for cleanup, I got from a fellow cake maker. Cleaning the piping tips can be a pain & I was told that buttercream should not go down the sink, as after time, it will clog the pipes. Put the tips in a microwave safe bowl. COMPLETELY cover with water. Add a drop of dish soap. Put in microwave on high for 2 mins. They come out spotless & all the grease has been dissolved. It is most important that the tips be completely covered with water, as the tips are metal & will spark if not covered. I use this method all the time & saves time & does a great job.

JGMB Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 7

I'm going to preface this by admitting that science is NOT my thing. icon_redface.gif But, I was wondering why it's worse to rinse your tips right into the drain than to, more or less, dissolve it in water in the microwave then pour that water down the drain? Isn't the grease ending up in the same place both ways?

cindy1176 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I'm going to preface this by admitting that science is NOT my thing. icon_redface.gif But, I was wondering why it's worse to rinse your tips right into the drain than to, more or less, dissolve it in water in the microwave then pour that water down the drain? Isn't the grease ending up in the same place both ways?

I usually dump most bc in the garbage can, but have wondered about the tip frosting down the drain also. Do you think that the soap dissolving the grease might be the trick here? I don't know either, but would like to find out, lol! I don't want future backups in my drains icon_rolleyes.gif

linedancer Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:20am
post #5 of 7

I never send the clean up water down my drain...I toss it out in my yard where I have some very dense ferns growing. It doesn't hurt them and the grease is not in sewer system.

lthiele Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks Limpy for the tip - I will definitely try that. I cant believe how greasy everything gets! I guess that's what makes the buttercream taste so good! icon_lol.gif I have read that about the drain somewhere else.

Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 7

I plastic wrap my counter si it's easy clean up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%