Retirement Cake For A Dishwasher

Decorating By tirby Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 1:09pm by tirby

tirby Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:36am
post #1 of 18

I have been asked by a large hotel here to do a cake for a dishwasher who has been with this place for 20 years.... , She said the retirement was well past due and he has beed a GREAT employee.
It is a BIG hotel and THE nicest hotel in our town, but the cake is for the kitchen staff of about 20-30..... But I have been looking through the photos and online and just nothing seems right.
I asked about hobbies of his and things and the person said no no hobbies. (maybe they just don't know about his personal life at all, I don't know)
There coments were, I don't want a plain ordinary sheet cake, (good thing , I dont do thoes icon_smile.gif ) maybe a man sliding down a mountain, was the next comment icon_confused.gif
I know they are getting him things like a case of paper plates and plastic silverware icon_lol.gif He probably never wants to see another dish again.....
Anyway I am STUMPED. The party is set forAugust 24th or 31st... They will get back to me...
A little help on this one?

17 replies
Doug Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 18

a man sliding down a mountain of....

plates, dishes, cups, saucers, sliverwarem, pots, pans --- all looking used of course.

and he's sliding down into a swimming pool.

seeing as you're in Idaho, would adding palm tree, and beach theme around pool work?

or could be sliding toward a recliner and tv...

one little detail in either case could be a big bottle of hand lotion.

----

for some dumb reason South Pacific comes to mind:

I've gone and washed that job right out of my hair!

-----

of course, another fun one that comes to mind is him at a shooting range, and pigeons are all plates and cups.

have one in the hair about to get hit and shards of all kinds of dinnerware laying all over his feet.

pots and pans full of bullet holes could be sitting on hay bales or on a fence rail too

-----

another -- 3-tier

bottom tier looks like a stack of dinner plates (lots of edge work)

middle tier is saucer or bread plates

laying in extra space on top each is some silverware....could even have what looks to be the handle of a knife sticking out the side of the tiers.

top tier - cups stacked tops-turvey style.

-----

or could do the whole thing as cake drum looks like plate and them various size saucers, cups, and glasses stacked topsy-turvey

for either of these last two could add a figure about to jump off the top into a waiting recliner or swimming pool, or hammock

----

in the non-dish category:

looks like a bottle of hand lotion (with some kind of wacky label)

looks like an automatic dishwasher?

------
hth

----

ps - I do hope they're doing something nicer than paper plates and plasticware for him. A great gag gift but......

Cookie45 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 18

Since it's not a huge cake, I thought maybe you can do a 2 tiered cake with pillars-then make gumpaste silverware to attach to the pillars so that it looks as if the cake is being held up by them. The topper could be a plate that says something like Best "Dishes" from all of us at the ------Hotel. Happy Retirement!!

I DO like the idea of the worker sliding into a pool or some pleasant activity. He deserves it after all his hard work. Hope this stimulates your creative juices!! icon_smile.gif

traceyjade Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 18

Wow Doug you have some amazing ideas, quite the imagination thumbs_up.gif Hope you are around when I need ideas icon_wink.gif

kylekaitlyn Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 18

How about making a sink and have the guest of honor floating around on a raft in the nice cleac water a beverage in his hand; the dishes all clean and neatly stacked around the edge. If you wanted to add wording, you could write, "The work's all done, now it's time for some fun."

Spuddysmom Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 18

I was thinking of a "counter top" with a large pair of rubber gloves, dw detergent bottle (ei label), maybe a few "dirty" utensils and the words 'Time for the gloves to come off"... but after reading all of Doug's incrediblly clever ideas I will be slinking back to my little corner and hiding my head in shame. Doug - how do you do it???

sweettoothmom1 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 18

would this be bad humor....the dishwasher walking off the cake with his back turned and then 2 guys bringing in a shiney new automated dishwasher....then saying " irreplacable" or something like that

KHalstead Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 18

I think it would be cool to do a cake of a dishwasher...you know, like an automatic dishwasher and have a little plaque that reads "let someone else do the dishes!", or something like that. Stupid huh?

CakesByJana Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 18

Awesome Ideas! When I first read this thread I had to re-read it... cause I thought you meant they were retiring an automatic dishwasher that was old. LOL

I think it'd be awesome to have a few piles of clean dishes stacked nicely in the shape of a mountain with the guy standing on top of them in a triumphant pose. Like he just climbed a mountain. He made it... it's over now. icon_biggrin.gif

Relznik Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_taylor

Awesome Ideas! When I first read this thread I had to re-read it... cause I thought you meant they were retiring an automatic dishwasher that was old. LOL

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I'm glad I'm not the only one!

michellesArt Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 18

i was thinking of a dishwasher with a sign that says out of service though i do like the idea if the guy floating in a sink with lotion and clean dishes around him or maybe a "jaws" knife/utensil coming out of the water and a warning sign of some kind. can't wait to see this cake-whatever it is i'm sure it will be awsome

madhattercakes Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:19am
post #12 of 18

Oooo or you could do the theme of the stack of dirty dishes on one side of the cake and him at the top going down the other side of clean dishes riding a soap bottle or something......
All these other ideas rock. Must post the pic of the completed cake. Dying to see it!

tinygoose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:16am
post #13 of 18

Doug you are amazing!!

I love the dish shooting range. You could put little plates on wire maybe. But I also love the guy going down the mountain of plates into a pool. Sounds like a fun project, sucks that they didn't give you anymore info...hobbies, he's got to do something.

tinygoose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #14 of 18

Doug you are amazing!!

I love the dish shooting range. You could put little plates on wire maybe. But I also love the guy going down the mountain of plates into a pool. Sounds like a fun project, sucks that they didn't give you anymore info...hobbies, he's got to do something.

Bobcat_Lady Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:04am
post #15 of 18

I vote for the shooting range...What a wonderful idea...wish I had thought of that. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Butterfly325 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:30am
post #16 of 18

I totally love the mountain idea!!! Definately sliding toward a couch and TV with a remote in hand!

tirby Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #17 of 18

WOW....My brain must have been shut off (but this is why we love Doug)
Great ideas! I will run this by them and see what they think.... Gosh can I even take credit for this now icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Side note: why am I only getting a few emails from CC that a reply was posted... and I mean once in a great while. This thread has 15 replys but no notice came to me? Sorry for the delayed response but thats why....

tirby Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:09pm
post #18 of 18

Sorry to tell everyone....They never showed up for the deposit and contract to be done. SO someone else can pick up where I left off.....with a ton of great ideas. thanks everyone. maybe someone can still use this info

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%