Ganache

Decorating By cmerola Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 4:52am by madgeowens

cmerola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmerola Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:41am
post #1 of 18

I want to use ganache on a cake I'm making for this weekend. I would like to use whipped ganache for the filling and a coating over the entire cake (like a crumb coat) before the fondant, do I need to keep it in refrig- after and what will this do to my fondant?

17 replies
underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 18

I know the non-whipped ganache over top doesn't need refrigerated, but I too, would like to know about the whipped. Somewhere, I've gotten the impression if it's whipped, it has to be refrigerated.

Here's a bump.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 18

Overnite in a cool house should be fine.....

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 18

I wouldn't put it in the fridge! icon_smile.gif

cmerola Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 18

So are we saying that even if I use it as a filling I wouldn't need to refrig-it and will it be ok for Sunday. I would like to frost today,fondant tomorrow and do the final decorating Sat for my Sunday party........ help (maybe I should stick with butter cream)lol

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 18

I don't see why whipping it would make it require refrigeration. It should be just fine left out. No worries.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 18

No need to refrig. it will be okay left out. If you put in the frig. it will harden up tooo much. If you leave it out - keep house fairly cool it will be nice and creamy. I just made one last week and it was fine.

cmerola Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks to all, for your help. I can begin my task. This website rocks!!!!!!CCs are the best.... icon_wink.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 18

I always put my ganache in the fridge.

kccinderella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccinderella Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 18

The whipped ganache is made with cream. I also put mine in the fridge - even after I cover with fondant. I think leaving a cream-based filling out for multiple days is not a good idea.

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 18

During my searching on these awesome forums I've read that ganache is ok for 2 days max, in a cool (68 degrees C or below) dry place. After that it can start to turn. A whipped ganache can turn even sooner if left out because the whipping incorporates more air and the air (air and moisture) is what causes bacteria growth. Now in the fridge I've read 1-2 weeks depending on your cream to chocolate ratios. Actually the same goes for leaving it out...the higher the chocolate content the longer you can leave it out.

Some one please correct me if I'm totally off or give more specifics. HTH!

Good luck!

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 18

I've been told by my chefs in school that as much as a week at room temp would be okay. I have had it out that long and never had a problem whipped or poured.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 18

I've been told by my chefs in school that as much as a week at room temp would be okay. I have had it out that long and never had a problem whipped or poured.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 18

I have read that since you are boiling the cream and the sugar content in the chocolate, you can leave it in room temperature for few days. Lot of australian cake maker use ganache all the time. icon_smile.gif

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:47pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks for the correction on poured ganache sitting out...it is closer to a week.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm
post #16 of 18

I always leave ganache covered cakes out with no problem

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:56pm
post #17 of 18

The biggest thing for me in leaving a cake with ganache sitting out, is that the ganache stays soft. I like to refridgerate the cake to set the ganache. Keep it refrigerated until delivery/pick up, or if I am using the cake at home I will take it out about an hour before I want to serve, so it is not icy cold.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:52am
post #18 of 18

I use cream in my butter cream frosting recipe, and never need to refrigerate it. Same with ganache

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%