Newbielooking For A Little Help With Tiers... Please

Decorating By moralesml Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 11:48pm by moralesml

moralesml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralesml Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 5

I think I know the answer, but am doubting myself... so off to the experts I go....

I am making a two tier cake to serve 50.... so I could do (according to the Wilton serving guide) a cake with an 8" and 12" --feeds 60 (always one to go for having extra rather than not enough) but it still seems a little too big to me...

The other option is an 8" and 10" which feeds approx. 48......

besides this, do I make the tiers two layers each, so that I am baking 4 cakes all together?

I am feeling so silly, but have completely confused myself! icon_redface.gif

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 5

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

according to the Wilton Wedding size serving chart the 8" serves 24, 10" serves 38 and the 12" serves 56

Yes you need to bake 2 cakes per tier to equal a 4" tier. That's what these numbers are based on.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 5

On the Wilton chart, 8" and 12" would make 80 servings, and 8" and 10" would make 62 servings...as long as you're looking at the wedding cake chart.

On Earlene's chart with the bigger servings, 8" and 12" make 60 servings, 8" and 10" make 45 servings.

The tiers are usually two layers each to get a good height, so yes, 4 cakes. You need a board and dowels to support the top tier.

Depending on your design, 8" and 12" would leave a nice ledge all the way around for the flowers or whatever you're putting on it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 5

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm
This is the guide I go by. I use this even for parties. At my grandchildrens' birthday parties, I watch the guests' reaction to the size of cake .... it's perfect for little kids and the adults are fine with it.

So based on this chart, the 8 and 10 serves 62, not 48.

moralesml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralesml Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the replies.... I appreciate your help... I knew I could get help from the great people on this site!

Thanks, again and please forgive my ignorance on the topic....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%