Air Brush Technique

Decorating By FelicityC Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm by ddaigle

FelicityC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FelicityC Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 15

How do you air brush a buttercream cake? what consistancy of the buttercream and air brush paint? Any help would be great!!

14 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelicityC

How do you air brush a buttercream cake? what consistancy of the buttercream and air brush paint? Any help would be great!!

Not sure what you mean by consistancy of buttercream and airbrush paint. Once cake has crusted use airbrush paint to cover it. Have you ever air brushed before? If not I would recommend a little practice before doing it on the cake.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelicityC

Not sure what you mean by consistancy of buttercream and airbrush paint. Once cake has crusted use airbrush paint to cover it. Have you ever air brushed before? If not I would recommend a little practice before doing it on the cake.

Tiggy2, do you own a airbrush machine? If so what would you recommend im thinking of buying one and im not sure on the kromajiet that has 8-10 psi or the larger one that has 0-24 psi?? Thanks sorry for jumpin in but i was getting ready to ask this question on air brushing

tiggy2 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 15

If those are the kopykake ones I don't care for them as they seem to spatter. I have an aztek 4709 and I love it. It doesn't have a needle so I don't have to worry about bendigt it or replacing it. It has different spray nozzles for different spray patterns.

cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:18am
post #5 of 15
Quote:

If those are the kopykake ones I don't care for them as they seem to spatter. I have an aztek 4709 and I love it. It doesn't have a needle so I don't have to worry about bendigt it or replacing it. It has different spray nozzles for different spray patterns.

Where did you get it? if you dont mind me asking(:

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:46am
post #6 of 15

I have several airbrushes as each one seemed to do something different for me. It's not something I use but once in awhile. I practiced on paper for a long time before I attempted cake. The first time I used it, I blew the frosting right off my cake! The buttercreme is the same as you always use. And it doesn't even have to be the crusting kind, depending on the look you are going for. Just don't get too close to the cake or use too much air. It really is something you have to practice.
Knowing the different guns I have, I could never settle on just one brand. They all do something special to me, or at least the ones I have.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 15

I got it from Rolland Winbeckler but if you do a google search you can probably find it a little cheaper. I think Hobby Lobby also carries it so you could use a coupon for it.

cakebaker1957 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:55am
post #8 of 15
Quote:

I got it from Rolland Winbeckler but if you do a google search you can probably find it a little cheaper. I think Hobby Lobby also carries it so you could use a coupon for it.

Thank you what dept would it be in??

tiggy2 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 15

It would be in the art dept.

cakebaker1957 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

It would be in the art dept.

Would this be safe to use on cakes,

pjem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjem Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:20am
post #11 of 15

I have a Chefmaster airbrush that I got from a friend of a friend. I do not know how old it is and I came with some coloring. I am assuming that the coloring is old also but do not know if there is an experation date. The machine did not come with any instructions on how to use it or how to clean it. Can anyone help me with these quesions.

Thanks!

FelicityC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FelicityC Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:05pm
post #12 of 15

I have never airbrushed before so....i just bought an airbrush gun, i need to find a compressor so i can start practicing. But, i have no clue about what kind of paint to use, do you use the same kind of colors like to color buttercream? What type of paint do you use? icon_confused.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 15

My daughter bought me an airbrush compressor, gun, colors and the whole complete kit for $139.98. I love it. It goes from 0 psi to about 40 psi.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/cakesys.aspx
Model abd kit-cake-20

They even helped me hook it up when I called them.

I always practice on paper first. For bc I always use 10-15 psi and hold the pen at least 12" away to cover the cake. For fondant I usually use 15-20 psi depending on whether I'm covering the whole cake (20 psi) or doing detail work (15 psi).

When I use the metallic luster colors like the gold or silver, I always turn the psi up all the way and stand far away. I found that when you try to use the metallic colors on low psi, it always clogs the tip really bad.

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:43am
post #14 of 15

Thanks great info, How do you get the tips unclogged?? Im saving this info for future reference

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm
post #15 of 15

To unclog the tip you have to "backflush" the sytstem. Some cleaner or water in the container and while holding your finger over the hole that the air shoots out.....press the flow button. You will see bubbles in your container. I hope this made sense. I do alot of pearl spraying and get clogs. This works like a champ every time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%