Black Fondant/gumpaste-Color At Home Or Buy Already Colored?

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm by jammjenks

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 11

I need some black fondant and gumpaste mix for a project I am working on. I made some at home and finally got some mixed and was able to try some things out with it. BUT the red in it started showing up everywhere and today when I took it out of the plastic bag to start working with it again - it's now a really dark green, not black.

If I buy some pre-colored will I have the same problems?

Is it worth the expense to buy specifically colored fondant/gumpaste? Or am I no better off than if I colored my own at home?

Thanks

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 11

As long as you don't mind a chocolate flavor, the next time you make it, substitute some cocoa powder for part of the powdered sugar so that you end up with dark brown fondant. Then it doesn't take nearly as much color to make it black.

I can't help with the question about buying it though...I'm really cheap so I always make my own icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 11

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself very well. I have regular fondant and gumpaste and mixed them and added in Gumtex to tighten it up after adding Wilton black color. I haven't gotten to the point of making my own fondant/gumpaste yet. Just colored my own and having problems with the red in the color coming out. Wondered if the pre-colored you can buy will lose it's color.

Thanks.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 11

I've made black fondant/gumpaste but the consistency isn't something I was impressed with. I would rather buy ready made but it isn't something I would like to splurge in.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 11

I can't ever get a really good black color on my own. I usually buy pre-colored and the color stays true. I've bought the small Wilton pack for some fondant animals and the Satin Ice for larger projects. Both had good color; the SI was softer and tastier.

ptanyer Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #6 of 11

Thanks! Off to order some pre-colored black gumpaste and fondant icon_smile.gif

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #7 of 11

If I had to choose between making black fondant, coloring fondant black or buying black - I would buy it

I've made it from scratch and colored white - and depending on the brand/formula of the color you are using you can end up with either a greenish or purplish hue can show up like you said. Also I feel like homemade/homecolored black fondant has a tendency to bleed easier.

I was also told by a pastry chef that since the dye is so strong and they use so much if you need to "stretch" your black fondant you can add 25-50 percent of white fondant to premade black knead it leave it overnight and it will be completely colored black. Not grey not a diff shade but the same exact black. I haven't tried this yet though

ptanyer Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:16am
post #8 of 11

What a great piece of information to share. Thanks!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:27am
post #9 of 11

I have colored the Wilton fondant black, but only in small amounts. It was a pain.

I have painted MMF and Wilton fondant using black coloring and orange extract mixed together. It was less of a pain.

Recently, I've been buying black fondant already colored and OMGosh...LOVE IT!

I have also used the wilton dark cocoa candy melts. Works well in some cases. I used it for tractor tires and it worked like a charm.

I'm such a cheater sometimes. icon_wink.gif

ptanyer Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I have colored the Wilton fondant black, but only in small amounts. It was a pain.

I have painted MMF and Wilton fondant using black coloring and orange extract mixed together. It was less of a pain.

Recently, I've been buying black fondant already colored and OMGosh...LOVE IT!

I have also used the wilton dark cocoa candy melts. Works well in some cases. I used it for tractor tires and it worked like a charm.

I'm such a cheater sometimes. icon_wink.gif

Hey girl!!! Long time no talk icon_lol.gif

When you buy what brand do you buy?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 11

Hey Pam! I've been using Satin Ice black-vanilla fondant. It smells just like the SI white-vanilla, so I assume it tastes the same. You can buy it in a 2lb container to try out. It is a bit more $ than white, but it is worth it if you will use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%