How Do I Attach Arms?

Decorating By robertssl Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 7:46am by Rylan

robertssl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robertssl Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 7

I'm new to cake making and my boss (no pressure!!) has asked me to make a pokemon cake for her sons birthday, specifically the character munchlax. I feel confident that I can make his body and head (I do plan to make a practice cake first) but I'm not sure how to attach the arms to the body. Should I make the arms out of fondant or rice krispy treats? The cake will be covered in fondat. PLEASE HELP ME

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 7

you could possible get away with chunkily rolled out fondant, cut to arm shape, and kind of wrapped over his belly.
otherwise, i think you are looking at RKT, and id use a dowel at the shoulder, and if possible, the 'elbow' into the body.
xx

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 7

I suggest you use RKY so it isn't too heavy--that is if you are going to make it big.

robertssl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robertssl Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #4 of 7

again, I'm new at this, please bear with me...what is RKY?

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #5 of 7

I think what Rylan meant was RKT (rice crispy treats).

I just made Elmo (well most of of him at this point) but I crushed the rice crispy cereal into dust basically before I mixed it with the marshmallow (a tip I got on CC) and then shaped the body parts and let them dry and get hard. Today I covered him in fondant and attached his body parts with toothpicks. If you are making a larger figure you could use dowels as brincess suggested or even candy sticks.

Let us know how it turned out. Elmo is my first RKT figure and I have to say, I love it. I am unhappy with his "fur" right now but I am going to try again tomorrow. Good luck!!!

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:57am
post #6 of 7

hi, please see my bakugan picture as well as the one by momade. i rolled the arm thicker at the base and thinner toward the edges. then insert a toothpick (slightly damp to act as glue) into the thicker end and then pushed the arm into the body of rkt covered in fondant. the arm was made of fondant with tylose so it would get harder. hope this helps.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:46am
post #7 of 7

Sorry, yes I meant RKT--I need to reread my replies next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%