Article In Usa Today

Business By EatSomeCake Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm by MrsCasey

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 15

Here's an article on wedding's these days, there is also a reference from CakeGirls in the article toward the end about wedding cakes....
I thought the article was pretty interesting....

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2009-07-07-recession-weddings_N.htm?obref=obinsite

14 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 15

It's interesting that the Maher girls are seeing brides choose cheaper wedding cakes. Because typically if you go to a famous person to get a cake - it's going to cost you a lot.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 15

somewhere in those 25 pages of comments is my comment that I'd like to see an article about people cutting back that does NOT include those "poor brides" who have to compromise and NOT get a $100,000 necklace or a $7000 cake. My, my, my dont' you just feel sorry for THOSE people!

I'm sick of hearing how the people in that income bracket are "suffering" in this day and age.

Rant over. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

kathi2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathi2009 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 15

well said indydebi

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 15

Before reading this message, just cover up my little avatar with your finger, because I'm going to violate that recommendation right now:

Here, here, IndyDebi.

Those articles refer to the 1-2 percent of this country who are at the top of the ever-expanding wage differential. The increase in US average salary over the past 25 years is attributable mostly to that little group. You know, like the Wall Street execs who did such a great jobs that their companies needed to be bailed out with US taxpayer dollars. They truly *deserved* those bonuses, don't ya know. icon_rolleyes.gif

OK, I'm over it. Back to being kind.... Just smack me upside the head if I do that again.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 15

I'm not sure if its the same article or not, but that whole budget wedding stuff is a bunch of crap! Boo, hoo they are forced to rent a 150K necklace instead of being able to buy it & oh, yes, they can only afford to rent Rolexes for the grooms men to wear that day! Whatever! thumbsdown.gif

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 15

I'm guessing that I spent around $1500 for my wedding (approx 80-100 guests). I must be the ultimate budget bride!!

My dad bought my dress, I used my mom's rings (hubby got a new ring for around $250.00), made all the bouquets and centerpieces myself, in-laws gave us $250 for the reception food (finger food and punch), $100 for the cake (made by a lady from church), etc.....

.......but don't ask what we spent on the honeymoon!!!!

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:57am
post #8 of 15

southaustingirl.... I don't even think I spent that much!!!

I won a bridal bouquet at a wedding show- I didn't want a big bouquet so I used it to get 3 single roses (with silk ribbon and babies breath) for my girls, 5 bouteniers (sp) for the guys plus my dad- and 4 roses for me. I had to cough up the difference of $5

My girl friend won tux rental for 5.

The minister refused payment as I had grown up in the church and he was glad I came back to get married there (so my dad put a donation in the offering box)

We got married on Dec 22- a Saturday- so the church was already decorated for the holiday season with candles, greenery, ribbons on the pews, wreaths on the windows, and the huge Christmas tree in the hall (it was gorgeous and magical)

My dress was $275 (Jessica McClintock, but in her shop in NH)- and I found it in July and it was ivory (not white so no spring summer brides wanted it)

My in-laws bought our rings for their wedding gift

Our reception hall package covered the band, the photographer, a hotel room that night for us, the emcee, the cake and the champagne, 3 course meal, etc. It was around 5 bucks a person and we only had about 150 people--max.

And we didn't have a honeymoon until our 10th anniversary. (I had to start student teaching the following week and hubby had to get back to work)

these 30,000$ "budget" weddings kill me.

((I wouldn't change anything except the cake)) icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:08am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

I'm guessing that I spent around $1500 for my wedding (approx 80-100 guests). I must be the ultimate budget bride!!

My dad bought my dress, I used my mom's rings (hubby got a new ring for around $250.00), made all the bouquets and centerpieces myself, in-laws gave us $250 for the reception food (finger food and punch), $100 for the cake (made by a lady from church), etc.....

I got married in the courthouse. I think it cost me $30

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:14am
post #10 of 15

Oh I forgot to add in the cost of the jaywalking tickets we got crossing the street to the courthouse. I was quite the rebel ! ahahhahaha

so wedding

$30

jaywalking tickets

$75 each = $150

for a grand total of $180

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:21am
post #11 of 15

I got married in a wedding chapel in a basement. I think the ceremony was $35, the license was $22, we took everyone out to Fuddruckers afterwards but my mom wouldn't let my sisters eat so we only spent $40 on food, my dress cost $20 and the most expensive thing we got was a pair of biker boots that Derrick wanted that were $75. I had an engagement band that he had put on layaway at Kmart where we worked, and I bought his ring on the 70% off sale that Kmart always ran on jewlery before Mother's day, so his ring was $40. I didn't get a wedding band until a year later, and the only reason I got one then is that we won $250 on a scratchoff ticket so we decided we could waste it on whatever we wanted. He got a playstation, I got a ring icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

What year did you get married?

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm
post #13 of 15

Makes me wonder, is it the recession (don't like using that word) that have them cutting back on the spending? Seems to me if you want to save, cut back spending, or whatever you may call it, you don't need a recession for that, you just go ahead and do it.
Rolex rental, thousand dollars worthof jewelry rental, all this is not compulsory.
Grooms men don't need rolexes,when their wrist will be covered by the sleeves of thier tuxes. A $20.00 rhinestone necklace looks just as good and you get to wear it again.
I never got this spending so much money on a wedding. I got married three years ago in NY, and we spent about $6000.
We had a limo and limo-bus, catering, hall, photographer, flowers, cake, dress, tux, rings (1 caret on my rings-bought on sale and placed on layaway ), invitations, all what a regular wedding needs.
Our guest list was 50-80, mostly family and friends.
We only bought things I could not make myself, or would not have time and energy to do.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #14 of 15

I don't carry how much someone spends on a wedding. I don't think anyone is better or worse then the next person for spending $500 or spending $500,000. You spend you money how you want to. I don't care if you tried to get more bang for your buck and budgeted away or just was going for broke with your money. My thing is don't complain about needing to be on a "budget", spend ridiculous money on some things, and then want to me low ball me on a cake price. And like someone said early, your watching your money, but then you go to decorators who are considered high-end. ;? That makes no sense to me.

MrsCasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsCasey Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #15 of 15

When I got married we spent $25 at the courthouse, went to Burger King to eat ( I had been wanting a Whopper for about a month icon_lol.gif ) spent about $12, my ex's mother bought our cake for about $10 in all we spent about $37. We have 6 kids on a budget. Now that's the way to spend money wisely, It's not how much you spend because I got the man. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%