Clueless Friends

Decorating By GeminiRJ Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 11:40am by GeminiRJ

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 8

Just before leaving work yesterday, I checked my emails and opened one from a friend entitled "cake". She wanted to know if I could make her a cake for today. And I would have to bring it to work so she could pick it up at 7:00 am. I laughed to myself as I answered "Nope." Then I actually felt a bit guilty, because I wasn't doing anything so important last night that I couldn't have made the cake. Except for that feeling of being taken advantage of. And darn it, if it was so important to have a cake for today, she should've thought about it sooner!

So....what is the shortest deadline you would consider for doing a cake?Without feeling totally put-upon?

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 8

for a good friend, if i was doing nothing, and was wanting to do something other than slump and watch tv, i would do it in an evening. if i felt like it. but if i had plans to be watching tv, id be saying no!
xx

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 8

Wow. Well, probably 3 days notice at the latest, to allow for full payment (cash only) up front, and that's only if I hadn't planned anything at all for the time. Friends or random customer. I'd have to be really hard up or seriously liking the design though!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 8

Probably about a week if I was desperate for work, which rarely happens. Maybe two weeks normally.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 8

For customers... I request a minimum of 3 weeks, notice, but I will make some rare exceptions with 2 weeks notice if they really beg and I'm in a good mood. Less than 2 week they're out of luck.

For family & friends, generally even then I don't do anything with less than 2 weeks notice unless I'm feeling really generous lol.

In both cases, it's not because I can't, but #1 I don't want to set a precedent for being the one to go to for "last minute" cakes and #2 Cakes are my job, but not my life. I make my personal plans at least 2 weeks out based on whether or not I have cakes on the books, and I'm not EVER going to cancel personal stuff for work... ever.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 8

Oh I would never cancel anything either, ya got that right. I'd have to be realllllly in love with a design to do it on such short notice.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 8

The first wedding cake I ever did, began as a small three-tier "cutting cake" and 150 cupcakes for a reception at the same small church.

Me, not knowing much about servings or the business or anything, got a call from a friend of the bride's aunt the night before. 7 PM, they were worried there wouldn't be enough cake...didn't understand the size of the "cutting cake"...

So at 7 PM I ran out to get more ingredients for a larger wedding cake due at noon the next day. I totally didn't know what I was doing. I bet they had a ton of cake left over and I lost a night of sleep too.

"NEVUH AGIN".

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:40am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I don't want to set a precedent for being the one to go to for "last minute" cakes.

Exactly! The friend who wanted this cake has done this to me before, and I've always caved. No more! I figure if it isn't important enough to give me adequate time, she can make do with a cake from the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%