I Love This...another Crazy Email

Business By robinscakes Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 10:05pm by Carolynlovescake

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 7

I posted an email from a customer who wanted something-for-nothing a while ago, and I think some of you got a kick out of it. Probably because most of you have "been there" with the insane cake requests. I got this one yesterday (3 days before she wants the cake delivered!).

...."I am looking for a 3 tier, square wedding cake in white fondant with black swirls, feeding roughly 150 people.Could be less..

I thought Chocolate/Berry and/or banana would be nice. But what ever is good under fondant is fine with me.

Filling Can be buttercream/chocolate/berry . How you mix the flavors/layers them is your choice.

Yes, I would like the cake delivered , if it is not too much. I live pretty close. If it is, I can come get it.

As far as the frosting, here's what I had in mind. I was just going to do a spiral of dots around the cake.
I have a Swarovski crystal letter (with waxed prongs) that is going on top, and 7 wire curves with small crystal dangles that I will place into the tiers, you may have seen or made cakes like this.

I am on kind of a tight budget, so if you could let me know what my options are, that would be great.
If you could do the dots,that would be great too, I just am crazy busy, but I am trying to give my daughter the cake she wants, and her wish was for a contemporary 3 tiered square white fondant covered cake with black decorations. The simpler the better.
Thank you so much for your consideration............great timing for us huh?

Now here's the kicker.....her budget (which I found out when I emailed her back a price of $600, which doesn't even include a rush fee of $50 that we normally charge) is $150!!!!!!!!! She wants to know what I can do for that! I can do something for free for her....tell her go to to Walmart!

6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 7

Simple:

"Thank you for contacting me, unfortunately I cannot provide what you desire for that price. Thanks again!"

Geeeeeeez.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 7

And yes! A referral to Walmart is very cheap! In more ways than one....icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 7

icon_lol.gif thats so funny. I don't know what people are thinking sometimes. icon_rolleyes.gif

KimmyO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyO Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 7

WOW, just WOW! Do people think we just have cakes sitting around waiting for someone to tell us how to decorate them? Crazy!

I don't even think she can feed 150 people cake from Walmart. And who orders a wedding cake three days before the wedding and still doesn't know the headcount?

There is a new country song that I love, "God is Great, beer is good, and people are crazy"; it says it all.

On a side note, I was looking at your website. How did you get the texture on that football for the graduation cake? It looks amazing.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 7

I don't think she can even get cake to feed 150 people from Walmart for $150!

Let alone fondant covered with custom flavors & filings...

That is just ridiculous !!!!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 7

"Thank you for letting me know about your budget, unfortunately the best I can do for you is 75 cupcakes with a basic swirl at that cost with this short of notice."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%