Chocolate Buttercream Under White Fondant?

Decorating By NJCakeDiva Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 3:09pm by drewbriegio

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 4

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member to CC and I am making a cake for my first paying customer. She asked for a fashion inspired cake for her daughter's 20th birthday. I have done a few cakes before and have become comfortable with fondant. After researching on several other sites, I noticed that a few people felt that you can not and should not use chocolate buttercream under white fondant (the client asked for chocolate). Has anyone else had a problem with this? Will it show through the white and make it dingy in color? Or is it a matter of not rolling it extremely thin? I am making a 2 tier square cake with the base being 10'' and the top smaller. The client also requested the use of pink and green as they are her daughter's favorite colors. Please help- Ready to begin cake and don't want to have any issues.

Thank You

3 replies
sugarbuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbuddy Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 4

Not sure of the answer but why not use chocolate fondant with pink & green?

drewbriegio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drewbriegio Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 4

I just made a cake last week and did chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache and put white fondant over it and you couldn't see through it at all. I used Satin Ice White fondant and rolled it pretty thin since I was using ganache and wanted really straight lines and such. Hope this helps!

drewbriegio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drewbriegio Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 4

One more comment....I still have not had a problem with the chocolate showing through the fondant, but I have had a few times when my finger has got some chocolate on it when I am triming or moving the cake and had some small smears of chocolate on white fondant. Not pretty. I am going to try to use mostly white chocolate ganache for this reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%