Tlc's Ultimate Cake Off??

Lounge By mindy1204 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:04pm by cylstrial

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #91 of 127

I was told from someone that competed on the show that the cakes were eaten at the event and that was part of the challenge. FN cakes are overbaked for stability and no one is going to eat them - they actually had to work with edible material.
Perhaps each challenge is different? Some are eaten, some are not? It does make sense to redo the cake for safety reasons. However, if they're served sheetcakes, then the same cake could be displayed.

AshleyV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyV Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #92 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Ashley, loved your work on the show. I thought you should've won. ;0)

Just curious...are you the same person as AshV that i've seen on other cake boards before? I recall seeing that screen name soooo much and never had a picture to go with the name. Just wondering if it was you?

No that isn't me, I go by AshleyV or Sweet Ashley or Ashley Vicos

but I don't really hang out on the boards, I barely find time to answer emails these daysicon_smile.gif
I need a personal assistant, now that would be lovely!!! icon_smile.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:06pm
post #93 of 127

On the TLC site for the show, each contestant gives a recipe for their cake!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #94 of 127

I'm thinking of a whole list of "punishment" challenges for season two.

-A phone ringing periodically for 30 minutes and it has to be answered within 4 rings and the message tells them something small, but specific, that must be added to their cake.

-Thirty minutes with a four year-old running around the kitchen with a pastry bag going, "I can help! I can help! It needs a rainbow!"

-A smoke alarm going off that has to be shut off before they can continue. And all they can use to wave around air are small, really wet, kitchen towels.

-The power going out for no apparent reason.

Y'know, real life stuff!

I will be compiling a list and sending it off to the powers that be.

(No, I won't.)

I really like the idea of moving around tools, too! It would be here. I swear I have gremlins.

Congrats to all of those asked to be on the show, and an added back slap to those who win...won...who will be winning, whatever.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #95 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_canary

-A phone ringing periodically for 30 minutes and it has to be answered within 4 rings and the message tells them something small, but specific, that must be added to their cake.

-Thirty minutes with a four year-old running around the kitchen with a pastry bag going, "I can help! I can help! It needs a rainbow!"

-A smoke alarm going off that has to be shut off before they can continue. And all they can use to wave around air are small, really wet, kitchen towels.

Y'know, real life stuff!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #96 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Ashley, loved your work on the show. I thought you should've won. ;0)

Just curious...are you the same person as AshV that i've seen on other cake boards before? I recall seeing that screen name soooo much and never had a picture to go with the name. Just wondering if it was you?

No that isn't me, I go by AshleyV or Sweet Ashley or Ashley Vicos

but I don't really hang out on the boards, I barely find time to answer emails these daysicon_smile.gif
I need a personal assistant, now that would be lovely!!! icon_smile.gif

I'm thinking I should convince DH to move to Georgia so I could help you out icon_lol.gif . You did an awesome job by the way!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #97 of 127

Thanks for answering Ashley. I'm always trying to put faces with screen names. It's funny, sometimes you really feel like you know some people online but you haven't a clue what they look like. So if i were to pass them on the street i would walk right past them or if i were to see them on TV i wouldn't even know.
;0)

I can see why you wouldn't have lots of time to chat on boards. Now after this challenge i bet the phone will be ringing even more then ever with people wanting your cakes.

I really hope someone starts a thread and lists all the CC members that will be on the challenges, and when, what they look like so i can keep an eye out for them. It's so exciting to have some of our own on TV..we are so blessed to have such pros here in CC to help all us little folks out. lol ;0)

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:35am
post #98 of 127

Hi sugar friends!

I was honored to be chosen to be on the Two Sweet Sisters team. Yes, they really are very sweet and just two down home, nice gals!!! We had a BLAST! Our show airs on Oct. 5th.

Fun...fun...fun!!!!! OMG, it was FUN!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Southern_O Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Southern_O Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:55am
post #99 of 127

Watched the show TLC Ultimate Cake Off, September 28, 2009 with Two Sweet Sister. It was great. I have seen their cakes in person at Bridal Shows and a young lady's wedding. These Southern ladies are great. thumbs_up.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:22am
post #100 of 127

I was SO excited when they won. Jen, you did a SUPER job!! thumbs_up.gif I'm registered for your class with Sharon Zambito in Sugarland and I can hardly wait to meet both of you.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:48pm
post #101 of 127

so thrilled for you.

the cake was amazing . I want that shoe icon_lol.gif

congratulations

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #102 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Hi sugar friends!

I was honored to be chosen to be on the Two Sweet Sisters team. Yes, they really are very sweet and just two down home, nice gals!!! We had a BLAST! Our show airs on Oct. 5th.

Fun...fun...fun!!!!! OMG, it was FUN!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

That was so cool!! So happy for you--awesome. And the cake could not have rocked more. Brilliant.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm
post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_canary

Y'know, real life stuff!

I will be compiling a list and sending it off to the powers that be.

(No, I won't.)

I really like the idea of moving around tools, too! It would be here. I swear I have gremlins.

Congrats to all of those asked to be on the show, and an added back slap to those who win...won...who will be winning, whatever.

LOL...hoiw very true!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #104 of 127

I love what Blu Canary wrote!
Much more interesting too.

Plus I wish the winner of the tasting could get an additional 30 minutes. While the others have to finish at 9 hours or 8 & a half hours, let the winners go on for 30 minutes.

It's ugly and cruel to punish and break the momentum of another team --that's not fun or fair--it's painful and dumb actually.

JenniferMI Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:55pm
post #105 of 127

Thanks!!!!!! We had a BLAST!!!!

I was grinning from ear to ear when the judges made comments about my choc. shoes. They told us.....we saw you were making choc. shoes....thought oh gee...boring choc. poured shoes. But, then...they said when we saw what you did with them, we were blown away! OMG!!!! I was flying high!

My friend Denise Talbot made the purse, it was totally awesome!!!

Jennifer icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:57pm
post #106 of 127

We actually had to sit out TWICE!!! They totally cut the first little mini challenge from the final episode. They also told us they had never had a team sit out twice and come back and win. At least that was the case up until our show was shot. Not sure after us.....

It is amazing what airs and what is cut....but I suppose they have a whole lot to condense into one hour icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:05pm
post #107 of 127

I was wondering where the other challenge went--what was it?

JenniferMI Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm
post #108 of 127

Kate -

They had to make a pair of sunglasses out of fondant and then they had to be put on the cake somewhere..... so strange that they cut that out...

Jen icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #109 of 127

That woulda been fun to watch--strange how they operate. Well that's why one of the sisters looked like they were almost crying.

Plus maybe I missed this but I think it's rude on these shows to not introduce the people they have in the vise grip. They might put folks names up almost long enough to read if at all. Rude, huh, to me anyway.

Run a list of credits at the end or something.

Maybe I missed it but I write it here because maybe they watch these threads.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #110 of 127

Wow, Jen! You and Dennis totally knocked everyone out with your shoes and her purse!!!
I thought your shoes were chocolate because you make them look real like no one else I have ever seen! They serioulsy looked like they were straight out of someones expensive shoe collection!! icon_eek.gif Did you cover the chocolate in black fondant or what?
This was the best Ultimate Cake Off to date and I am so happy you all won it!! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #111 of 127

Hi!

If you go to their site, http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/ultimate-cake-off/ultimate-cake-off.html

Down at the bottom there is a customer service/viewer realations link. I totally agree, they should introduce or at the very least, have the names of the people on the team flashed on the screen. Everyone puts forth LOTS of effort to do a show like this.

Thanks again, for your very kind comments icon_smile.gif I still can't believe I was out there and we won...OMG.....

Teekakes - The shoes were chocolate, poured from a simple mold. I then took the light cover pattern (easy peasy) and embossed the black fondant with that, covered the shoes. (Had to do some trimming with the scissors to do this, but it really went pretty easily to my surprise icon_smile.gif Then added the embellishments. Oh, we put oil on the outside (cooking oil) to make them look like patten (sp?) leather. Denise's purse was also oiled...it gives it such a cool look!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #112 of 127

Jennifer -- it was so great to see you on the show last night. I was so happy your cake won!! It really was the BEST. I would have been disappointed otherwise. It was amazing what a well-oiled machine your team was. Congratulations!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #113 of 127

Yes, I have the mold, thus recognizing the shoe style. Rubbing the oil on really does make them look like patent leather! Awesome for sure! thumbs_up.gif
You need to demo that shoe when you and Sharon come to Beaumont/Winnie again! When are you two going to be there again?

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:20pm
post #114 of 127

Congrats!

Hubby actually sat down and watched it with me - that never happens - and he totally called your cake the winner before it was officially announced. Because of your team's skill, he has a new found respect for cake design. Fantastic job! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:51pm
post #115 of 127

Thanks Jenn, I did send in some comments plus some of Blu_Canary's ideas too--because she said she wasn't gonna and they are great ideas--This is what I sent in:

Quote:
Quote:

Please introduce each of the artists on each team--At least with a roll of credits across the screen

~~Consider giving the mini-challenge winner an additional 15 minutes rather than making them be cut throat. These professionals are already busting gut

~~Maybe have the phone ring, as my friend suggested and have them get interupted just like a real bakery, make them have to decide if they want to answer a question, and they have to stop working each time the phone rings until they get one question right or add a decoration to their design or sit out 15 minutes if they get the question wrong

--something fun and interesting to watch--not just hey watch 'em stick it to the competition. Weak programming there.

Just some ideas for you.

I do love the show. Make it better!

My friend also suggested: -Thirty minutes with a four year-old running around the kitchen with a pastry bag going, "I can help! I can help! It needs a rainbow!"

Make it fun, guys!

They also need to showcase the WORK too --show what these talented people have accomplished--they are glossing over that too.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm
post #116 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revale

I know first hand that one of the judges is in no position to be judging the show. It's seems like you would have to be able to make a simple cake yourself before judging others. I am just saying.

I couldn't agree more Reva. I watched the season Cake Diva's was on, and she ain't no judge of cake. She's a whip snapper, as a manager should be, but what does she really know about structure, etc.? Just because she's married to a decorator, and manages a shop does not a judge make. I totally disagree with her judgements 85% of the time.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #117 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

costumeczar: Maybe they could have the winner go into the other decorators' kitchen and move all of their tools around! That would REALLY screw them up

Better yet, send their own spouses and/or children into the kitchens just to visit and simulate their home environment. You know, "What's for dinner" "Where's my blue shirt?" "Can you drive me to the mall?" That would really distract them!

Or better yet....have the client come in and change the design mid-stream like some of the bridezillas out there do! THAT would add some drama! LOL!! icon_surprised.gif

deli1777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deli1777 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #118 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

[

Or better yet....have the client come in and change the design mid-stream like some of the bridezillas out there do! THAT would add some drama! LOL!! icon_surprised.gif

They didn't change the design per-say but they did come in with a last minute request on our episode, as I believe to be true for many of the other episodes. In this case, the wedding planner/cousin brought in the bride's traditional Korean dress that she would be wearing for part of the wedding (in addition to her traditional Western style white wedding dress). We were asked to incorporate part of the dress into the design of the cake. It had some Korean writing, birds and flowers, and was in bright colors, mainly red and blue if I remember correctly. In the final shots of Norm's cake on the challenge you see a handpainted plaque where they incorporated the design. Rebecca piped the Korean writing on the side of the cake between some of the gold-painted scrolls. And I think Mark had one of the figures riding the carousel dressed to look as if they were wearing the dress.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #119 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Thanks Jenn, I did send in some comments plus some of Blu_Canary's ideas too--because she said she wasn't gonna and they are great ideas--This is what I sent in:

Quote:
Quote:

Please introduce each of the artists on each team--At least with a roll of credits across the screen

~~Consider giving the mini-challenge winner an additional 15 minutes rather than making them be cut throat. These professionals are already busting gut

~~Maybe have the phone ring, as my friend suggested and have them get interupted just like a real bakery, make them have to decide if they want to answer a question, and they have to stop working each time the phone rings until they get one question right or add a decoration to their design or sit out 15 minutes if they get the question wrong

--something fun and interesting to watch--not just hey watch 'em stick it to the competition. Weak programming there.

Just some ideas for you.

I do love the show. Make it better!

My friend also suggested: -Thirty minutes with a four year-old running around the kitchen with a pastry bag going, "I can help! I can help! It needs a rainbow!"

Make it fun, guys!

They also need to showcase the WORK too --show what these talented people have accomplished--they are glossing over that too.

I love the show! And I love your suggestions - especially the one about giving the winner an extra 15 min. I hate how they make them sit out. It drives me nuts!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #120 of 127

Did anyone else notice on the opening credits of the show, where they show all the clips from previous shows, the cake that the top tier falls off and smashes on the floor? Is that not Mark Randazzo's wedding cake with the sugar work on the bottom? I swear it's the same cake..... They did not show anything like that on the show....

And BTW, I Love Norman! He is so awesome! I love how he and Zane got into a little spat. They are so funny.

As for the show in general, I agree with most of the comments already posted. They definitely need to give more credit to the assistants. And why do they make them all leave the room during judging?? That drives me nuts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%