Lounge By mindy1204 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:04pm by cylstrial

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #61 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Maybe they could have the winner go into the other decorators' kitchen and move all of their tools around! That would REALLY screw them up icon_twisted.gif

Now, that it just plain evil icon_evil.gif I don't know you, but I get really upset when my kids or DH interrupt me from decorating a cake, I loose my concentration and I need a few minutes to get back in "the zone" (as my DH calls it) so for me, all those interruptions are just annoying and should be enough punishment for the contestants, the thought of messing with their kitchens is just icon_evil.gif

Oh please, of course that was a silly suggestion that I didn't expect anyone to take seriously! Don't get all lit up over it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:17am
post #62 of 127

How about the winner goes back to work while the other two switch kitchens.....just the team leaders...

costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #63 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

How about the winner goes back to work while the other two switch kitchens.....just the team leaders...

I was thinking of something like that, too! That would still let the teams get something done, but it would be irritating. It seems like they just want to irritate them anyway, so I'll bet they do something like that eventually. They'll have to keep messing with the competitors in different ways, because if they keep doing the 30-minute penalites people will just plan for 8 hours worth of work.

ChimbleySweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChimbleySweets Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #64 of 127

The little disclaimer at the very end of the show, that blipped on the screen for about 1.5 seconds before it disappeared:

"The cake eaten at the event was not the competition cake."

really disappointed me. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be disillusioned enough to think that they actually feed those cakes to anyone, but I really hate the idea of having all that food just go to waste. I know on Food Network Challenge they re-make the cakes for whatever special event they are for, but this time it seemed like the same cake was brought there and then just gawked at while people were fed other cakes. I say, if it's a cake, and it's (40% *sigh* ) edible, LET PEOPLE EAT IT!! icon_smile.gif

And it was sneaky of them to color whatever sheet cakes they WERE serving with blue frosting to give the appearance that the cake was actually being eaten.. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #65 of 127

maybe they made an identical one under more controlled enviroment (public saftey, right?) that was actually cut and not just blue sheet cakes....

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:45am
post #66 of 127

Yes, the show was awesome and YES even though Ashley's cake was a bit dreary. She had the most detail and was on point with making the sharks look life like. She should have won. As for Ms. Grodie from CD: Plain and simple, she shouldn't have been elected to be a judge. All I have seen her do on AWC was delegate and take cust orders.
As far a her decorating: all I have seen her do is TRY to tell her partner what to do. Only time I recall seeing her touch a cake was when they made the Windmill Cake, and she nearly broke one of the windmills on the poor cake. But whatever. Reva, congrats to you and Mark. I love the way you guys work together and I love your work, continue to strive forward.

I can't wait to see some of our fellow CCer's on there. Congrats Moydear and to all the others who appeared or will appear. Woohoooo!!

all4cake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #67 of 127

Excuse me....brain fart!

Congratulations for being chosen Maryann! I can't wait to see the episode that includes you! I hope that after their episode airs, the CCer lets us know which one was them! Ya'll can do that right, Maryann? I mean after ya'll's episode airs, right?

Regardless of the outcome...'cause everyone agrees that everyone on the show busted ass, right? Even if we didn't agree with the choice of winner we agree that they were all good, right? (I'm "right"ing to the other posters now)

ETA: If ya'll don't understand what I just typed, it's okay. I just reread it and I sound drunk. haha

costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #68 of 127
Quote:

ETA: If ya'll don't understand what I just typed, it's okay. I just reread it and I sound drunk. haha

I'll have what you're having! icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:06am
post #69 of 127

costumeczar: Maybe they could have the winner go into the other decorators' kitchen and move all of their tools around! That would REALLY screw them up

Better yet, send their own spouses and/or children into the kitchens just to visit and simulate their home environment. You know, "What's for dinner" "Where's my blue shirt?" "Can you drive me to the mall?" That would really distract them!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #70 of 127

I was eager to watch this show last night but ended up a bit disappointed. The mini challenge, tasting challenge..and penalties were very distracting and really took away from the focus of the show...CAKES. I didn't like all the chit chat during penalties etc... I wish they would just make the cakes, show techniques, that's it..perhaps too boring for the networks, i dunno. Too many people in the kitchens too, very chaotic (sp?).
I also think Ashley's cake should've won. I was shocked how the one judge really leaned into her about the logo. Give me a break..she said it broke during transport, what else could she do? Yes, the logo was simple but man that cake had some really cool details on it. I really felt the one judge (grodie) overall was too harsh on the contestants. You can give constructive critisim without being forceful and harsh. JMHO. These parts of the show really took some of the 'fun' out of it..they just need to lighten up a bit, afterall it is just cake.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #71 of 127

I agree Ashley should have won! What really pi$$ed me off is that they made such a huge deal about her bad logo and poor placement. Honestly, if it were *that* big of a deal, they shouldn't have waited til half-way through the competition to tell them that they needed to use it.

costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #72 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

costumeczar: Maybe they could have the winner go into the other decorators' kitchen and move all of their tools around! That would REALLY screw them up

Better yet, send their own spouses and/or children into the kitchens just to visit and simulate their home environment. You know, "What's for dinner" "Where's my blue shirt?" "Can you drive me to the mall?" That would really distract them!

Ha ha ha ha! You're right, that would be the worst penalty they could come up with!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:25am
post #73 of 127
Quote:

maybe they made an identical one under more controlled enviroment (public saftey, right?) that was actually cut and not just blue sheet cakes....

If it's anything like the FN challenges than as Buddy explained you wouldn't want to eat them anyway. On the FN challenge they have to bring their own supplies including the cakes. He said was that he found best was to overbake the cakes because they shipped better that way. They also re-make the cakes for whatever event as well. Same design but with fresh cake!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #74 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Ha ha ha ha! You're right, that would be the worst penalty they could come up with!

HA! I totally agree!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

If it's anything like the FN challenges than as Buddy explained you wouldn't want to eat them anyway. On the FN challenge they have to bring their own supplies including the cakes. He said was that he found best was to overbake the cakes because they shipped better that way. They also re-make the cakes for whatever event as well. Same design but with fresh cake!

I always wonder how they move the cakes soooo easily - like just pick up the end with their own two hands and place them on top of one another. If I tried to do that at home, it would split! Although I have (accidentally) overbaked a cake or two & I could see how that would be helpful!

But still...even on Cake Boss...they are moving HUGE cakes around with just their hands & the cakes don't fall apart. Somehow, mine always do!

Anyway...loved the show last night! Love any cake related tv - I won't complain! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:29am
post #75 of 127

The actual show cakes cannot be served at the event because those kitchens are not "real" and food grade, if you know what I mean.

They served sheet cakes at the events as far as I know.

dxerebl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dxerebl Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #76 of 127

in reference to all the posts about how crass the judges were -- which I totally agree with ---

we have to keep in mind that this is a "NEW" show -- FN's Cake Challenge has been around quite awhile. I'm sure TLC felt like they had to compete and make their show different -- I have no doubt they "encouraged" the judges to make harsh comments. And this is TV - they can edit it however they want to make the dialogue look worse than it really is (we've seen that before on FN - just ask Buddy or Courtney)

just my opinion though............ loved the show, but they need to drop the drama and concentrate on the CAKE!

I hope everyone enjoyed it and I hope we all get to see some great work! icon_smile.gif

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #77 of 127

I was an assistant to Martha Hebert "Two Sweet Sisters" along with her sister, Becky Guidry and Jennifer Dontz. We did have a great time and enjoyed it so much!

It was wild and crazy - I grabbed a bagel early in the morning and we didn't eat til it was over. LOL For once I didn't even think about eating.

The mini competitions were kinda different and can throw things off but it was kinda like decorating at home/work. Something can always throw you off, poop happens at work to stop one from working on their project but it STILL has to be done on time - so it was kinda throwing reality into the decorating.

The host Michael was a riot and we got a big kick out of him. He is a big giant tease "oops you spelled that wrong" he told me and nearly gave me a heartattack...he just laughed.

The judges were pleasant but were not afraid to speak their minds but after the competition they were so nice and very personable. Especially Lee from Cake Diva's. All in all, we had a great time and it was a wonderful experience! Hugs to Martha and Becky for the wonderful honor of working with them!!! Jennifer Dontz too...even though she speaks with an accent - girls from Texas and Louisiana don't!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

TwoSweetSisters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoSweetSisters Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:13am
post #78 of 127

ditto Denise! We had fun and did the best we could given the circumstances...that was the challenge! Our episode airs October 5th. Can't wait...it will definitely be fun to watch with our kids! They are so afraid that Martha and I may have done something to embarass them! LOL

Denise, did you see Martha's face in that commercial after the sneak peek show?

Hey Jen, missed you at convention. Thought you were coming?

Becky

Cake-Gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Gal Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:16am
post #79 of 127

I saw the posting below on a blog and just had to check it out--so I ran the DVR back and forth 3 or 4 times and sure enough the bandaged thumb seemed to jumped from left to right a couple of times. Wonder why they would do that--more drama?

"I am really on the fence about whether Ashley cut her finger or not. . . She was just so blase' about it at first ("Stephen, I cut my finger), that I paused and rewatched it in slo mo 5 times. When her left hand came up from behind the shark, I could see her thumb already wrapped in white. So, if she did cut her finger, it led me to believe that she'd already cut it and the cameras had missed it.
However, what makes me doubt myself on THAT point is this: right after said cutting, the cut seems to just jump thumbs. First she has the tissue on one thumb and she complains about cutting herself. . . Then in the next frame, the tissue moves to the other thumb. It was like they couldn't decide which thumb they should cut. Later on, they show someone painting on liquid bandage, and I thought I could see a light cut, so she probably really did. I guess that's a testament to how much we are manipulated by the media that I even doubted it in the first place."

costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:43am
post #80 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake-Gal

I saw the posting below on a blog and just had to check it out--so I ran the DVR back and forth 3 or 4 times and sure enough the bandaged thumb seemed to jumped from left to right a couple of times. Wonder why they would do that--more drama?

"I am really on the fence about whether Ashley cut her finger or not. . . She was just so blase' about it at first ("Stephen, I cut my finger), that I paused and rewatched it in slo mo 5 times. When her left hand came up from behind the shark, I could see her thumb already wrapped in white. So, if she did cut her finger, it led me to believe that she'd already cut it and the cameras had missed it.
However, what makes me doubt myself on THAT point is this: right after said cutting, the cut seems to just jump thumbs. First she has the tissue on one thumb and she complains about cutting herself. . . Then in the next frame, the tissue moves to the other thumb. It was like they couldn't decide which thumb they should cut. Later on, they show someone painting on liquid bandage, and I thought I could see a light cut, so she probably really did. I guess that's a testament to how much we are manipulated by the media that I even doubted it in the first place."

I don't know about it jumpng from hand to hand, but I'm sure that they move clips around in the editing process. Anything that seemed to appear before she said "I cut my hand" was probably just edited in out of sequence.

It didn't look that big to me (not that they showed a clear shot of it, I'm sure that was so that we would imagine it being worse than it was), but she was saying that it was at the end of her finger, so that would bleed a lot, especially if you kept working with it.

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm
post #81 of 127

This show was a total blast to shoot! Our episode will air Aug 31st.

As for the judging - at first I thought some of the same things about whether or not some of them were qualified, but at the end of the day, the winner is ultimately chosen by the client... you can't get closer to real life than that.

After watching the sneak preview episode, I like the fact that all the kitchens are color coded so you can tell who's is who and all, but the set did seem a little "busy" and it was hard to see the progress of the cakes.

Maybe its because my background is originally in art and design, but the non-edible component of the cake designs doesn't really bother me. If I'm designing an extreme cake, I want to be able to push everything to the limit, and come up with an "over-the-top" concept. To be limited to cake ONLY would definitely put some constraints on the design.

We didn't know about the mini-challenges/time-outs ahead of time. But while we were getting ready for the show, one of my teammates - who owns a shop, said, "9 hours straight of cake decorating without the phone ringing or questions from clients, employees or vendors? That would be a dream!" So I guess the interruptions are more true to real life.

My guess would be that Ashley's bandage "issues" are entirely editing. Just about anything can happen in editing - from making comments or situations appear more snarky than they actually were, to flopping an image so that a bandage could appear to jump from finger to finger.

One of the best things about doing the show was meeting and getting to know our co-competitors. We even hung out with some of them at the ICES convention!

I hope you'll watch us on the show on Aug. 31st. (I'm the lead assistant for team yellow - you can even see me in some of the promos that are running now! But DON'T blink! ha ha!)
Please be gentle in your comments, because I'll be reading! LOL!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:00pm
post #82 of 127
Quote:

Excuse me....brain fart!

Congratulations for being chosen Maryann! I can't wait to see the episode that includes you! I hope that after their episode airs, the CCer lets us know which one was them! Ya'll can do that right, Maryann? I mean after ya'll's episode airs, right?

Regardless of the outcome...'cause everyone agrees that everyone on the show busted ass, right? Even if we didn't agree with the choice of winner we agree that they were all good, right? (I'm "right"ing to the other posters now)

I am the Asian one silly!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:50pm
post #83 of 127

Becky, I did catch Martha's face on the promo!!! LOL they need to see the pictures I have that we did down in the lobby. LOL every time I look at the PhotoBooth pictures I laugh hysterically. PhotoBooth is so much fun!!

I am so excited that we have the date now! I can't wait for it to air!

all4cake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #84 of 127

[quote="moydear77"]

Quote:

Excuse me....brain fart!

I am the Asian one silly![/quote]

LOL! I know which one YOU"LL be and I'd know Melvira if I ever seen her on one...I'm sure I'd not recognize the others though.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #85 of 127

Yeah...someone should start a TLC Cake Off Roll Call...

Then we'd know which members will be on!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #86 of 127

I suspect she did cut her finger; but the camera missed it so they re-inacted it.

Our show airs Oct 12th.

I was "told" ( for what that is worth) that TLC execs told the show producers that the judges were too mean on the first episode and to tone it down. We shall see.

PS. Please do not believe everything you see on reality TV as being a true testament to how it really happened. Take it all with a grain of salt; that is all I can say for now.

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:04am
post #87 of 127

I went to school with one of the girls on the winning team, Ashley. She was one of my partners for part of it! She's very good, I'm so proud of her!

AshleyV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyV Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #88 of 127

Okay, after receiving numerous emails regarding this "conspiracy theory" I wanted to chime in with the TRUTH................

It is TV & there is ALWAYS lots of editing done to make things more exciting and dramatic...............this is true with Food Network and also TLC.

I did cut my thumb. It was a very deep straight cut right into the center of the end of my thumb........ I did not cut any part off, it was just a very deep cut......

As someone who has cut myself many times (embarassed to say that) this was particularly bad b/c it hurt a lot being right on the tip where all the nerves are and the worst part was that we couldn't get it to stop bleeding b/c it kept spliting open.

Steven and I actually bandaged it at least 4+ times on the show, and they tried supergluing it together twice just to stop it from splitting open and bleeding again..... It took a good 4 weeks to actually heel and it split open 2 more times even after I was home.

Yes, there was some editing of things on the show and it didn't all transpire exactly as you saw on the finished product show, but the situation & event were totally true.

But I live to decorate another day icon_smile.gif
Be sure to tune in to the season finale where I compete with Roland Winbeckler and Mary Moy, which is crazier than the premiere. I am personally looking forward to watching all of the shows!

Thanks!!!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #89 of 127

Thanks Ashley for taking the time to explain this, I just wanted to tell you that your cake was amazing and deserved to win! icon_mad.gif I'm looking forward to see you competing against other masters of cakes!!! Good luck and keep up the good work thumbs_up.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #90 of 127

Ashley, loved your work on the show. I thought you should've won. ;0)

Just curious...are you the same person as AshV that i've seen on other cake boards before? I recall seeing that screen name soooo much and never had a picture to go with the name. Just wondering if it was you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%