Strange Visitor Stats On My Website! Thoughts?

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 2:06pm by cylstrial

Swede-cakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 13

I'd like to get some thoughts on this, if you please.

I run my website on webs.com and have a stats/visitors program that I check every couple of days.

Just went on and noticed that of 9 hits to my site this morning, 7 are from Singapore. No biggie. But the IP addresses are all nearly identical except for the last digit in the string. Seems weird. All these "visits" were during a span between 8:27am and 8:34am, and each has only one or two pages visited; all multi-tiered cake pics from my gallery.

Now, benefit of the doubt would be that someone in Singapore doesn't have a good internet connection and has to keep going on my site to look at photos in that particular section of my gallery. BUT with a different IP that only varies by one digit??

Or...I think I'm going to do some Singapore sleuthing.

12 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 13

Probably bots and spiders. They crawl across pages to index and categorize for future searching on Google, Yahoo, what have you. Or someone was checking out your site and bouncing their IP address off of somwhere foreign to hide their true identity. Competitor perhaps?

LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 13

Okay super sleuth Jaime & now techno nerd, what the heck is bots & spiders?!? And how do you bounce you adress of another site to hide your identity?!?

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 13

I have not the first clue of what I speak. But bots and spiders are what go out into the internet world and read meta tags and keywords on websites, so that someone searches for something using one of those words, bam! Your website shows up.

Now as far as bouncing IP addresses, I know that is a doable thing, kind of hacker level techie stuff. I wouldn't know the first thing about it, and will testify to it in a court of law. Repeat, I know nothing of hacker stuff....icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif j/k. Seriously though, I really don't. Probably can find instructions on Google no doubt.

jillmakescakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 13

So, this may be the optimist in me, but what if there is a bride on a military base in Singapore that was browsing your site and had the other people on the "office" check it out as well. That would explain the one digit difference and the specific pages viewed.

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:07am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

So, this may be the optimist in me, but what if there is a bride on a military base in Singapore that was browsing your site and had the other people on the "office" check it out as well. That would explain the one digit difference and the specific pages viewed.




That is certainly an option too!

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 13

How you hide your IP address is to use a proxy site. Some people have a program that does that automatically, if they're really big on privacy. Other people use a proxy if they want to get to a site that they're banned from or one that their IP doesn't let them access...for example if a kid at school wants to get on myspace they can use a proxy site and as long as the school doesn't have the proxy site blocked, they can access myspace but all the system administrators would see on the records is the proxy site. Another use for proxys is if you want to access something multiple times and make it look like it's coming from different places...voting for something, or flagging on Craigslist for example.

Here's a few proxys from Singapore http://www.freewebproxylist.com/SG_WebProxies.html
http://aliveproxy.com/proxy-list/proxies.aspx/Singapore-sg
But undoubtedly that's not all of them icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #8 of 13

Oooooh...at least half of that went over my head. But I did get half. Yeah, I'm just not that computer person. icon_redface.gif I do know how to get on-line though! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Oooooh...at least half of that went over my head. But I did get half. Yeah, I'm just not that computer person. icon_redface.gif I do know how to get on-line though! thumbs_up.gif




LOL....me too! icon_lol.gif

Swede-cakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:12am
post #10 of 13

Hmmm...food for thought. I just don't know enough about IPs, other than each computer has one like a fingerprint. It just looked strange compared to the random visitor info I see usually.

Jamie, you are indeed the CC Supersleuth! Bots and spiders? Probably. I didn't think of that. Competitor? There many higher talent level decorators/designers besides me for someone to spy on! lol! Oh great. Now I have the Mission: Impossible theme song stuck in my brain.

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:33am
post #11 of 13

Lol!!

Laura102777 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

How you hide your IP address is to use a proxy site. Some people have a program that does that automatically, if they're really big on privacy. Other people use a proxy if they want to get to a site that they're banned from or one that their IP doesn't let them access...for example if a kid at school wants to get on myspace they can use a proxy site and as long as the school doesn't have the proxy site blocked, they can access myspace but all the system administrators would see on the records is the proxy site. Another use for proxys is if you want to access something multiple times and make it look like it's coming from different places...voting for something, or flagging on Craigslist for example.

Here's a few proxys from Singapore http://www.freewebproxylist.com/SG_WebProxies.html
http://aliveproxy.com/proxy-list/proxies.aspx/Singapore-sg
But undoubtedly that's not all of them icon_biggrin.gif




Oh yeah, the kids know all about these. I work in a high school computer lab, so part of my job is catching them at it. I've caught them on MySpace, Facebook, and yeah, on porn. If only they put that much effort into their school work! icon_rolleyes.gif

cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:06pm
post #13 of 13

Wow! This is all very interesting!

I'm thinking Jill might be right. The future bride probably emailed the link out and everyone in the office took a look.

That's what I did...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%