Cracking Fondant Figures

Decorating By busymum Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm by underthesun

busymum Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 3

I have tried making some figures to go on the top of my cakes and I have made them out of fondant but have found that they have cracked when they are drying, don't look too bad but I am a bit of a perfectionist and was wondering if there was anything I could do to stop this happening.

2 replies
underthesun Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 3

I have found when making figures a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant or tylose added to fondant works best to prevent cracking - doesn't dry as quick as gumpaste alone.

But the best results have been when I use an insert (lollipop stick or whatever works) to keep the body in the position I want. Be prepared with several small props (anything that will keep arms and legs in the position I want). And work quickly. Once you've positioned them for drying, do not touch or reposition. When I work on the head, I also work quickly to get the mouth just the way I want it and then leave it alone or that area will begin to crack. I too am a perfectionist and was disappointed in the cracking of my first few figures. But perfectionism always works against me if I keep playing with it. If I'm unhappy with any part I've made, I start over - never play with it and again, work quickly! icon_smile.gif

underthesun Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 3

Thought this recent post my be of interest to you. Lots of info other than figures, but I found the use of cheap dolls, cut in half as molds for figures very interesting.

Can't wait to give it a try, especially for making faces! icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6470740#6470740

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%