Chocolate Ganache As A Filling

Decorating By kkitchen Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 3:05am by kkitchen

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone ...
I have a cake order that is due on Friday - the cake is a chocolate cake with mousse filling (which I will use whipped ganache) and fresh strawberry slices.
The cake is a carved 3D cake - so I was planning on using the ganache trick under the fondant.
What I wanted to know is that I have read that when the fondant is applied on the cake that the cake has to stay at room temp. over night in order for the ganache to get solid so that the cake cak be smooth.
I am very worries about the strawberry and whipped ganache.
Do you think that it will be fine out of the fridge for an entire night and then the day since I will apply the ganache on the Thursday night and do the fondant work on Friday and then the delivery is on Friday evening?
I really do need some help.

Thanks a lot

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 9

Hi there, I also have used ganache under fondant. I leave only few hours once I ganached a cake and then apply the fondant. My advice is to leave the cake in the fridge until you are ready to ganache it. Once you take it out from the fridge let it come to room temperature and then ganache the cake. Leave it for few hours maybe 2, and apply the fondant and decorate. icon_smile.gif

kkitchen Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much Bashini, so you think that when I put the ganache and strawberries that I should keep it in the fridge, and then put it out like on Friday, and decorate it and deliver it the same day?
Thanks a lot

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 9

Hi, I think I got something mixed up. I thought you are going to use whipped cream as a filling,but you are not. Its whipped ganache. icon_redface.gif Sorry about that.

Ok, put the filling on thursday night. Leave it to settle. No need to put it in the fridge. Friday morning, ganache the cake, leave it to harden and cover it with fndant. It will be fine for upto 3-4 days. But not sure with strawberry in it. I would tell the customer to put it in the fridge after the party.

kkitchen Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much Bashini,
no worries, sometimes we all overlook things. Thank you so much for your help. I feel better now.
Thanks a lot.
thumbs_up.gif

kkitchen Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you so much Bashini,
no worries, sometimes we all overlook things. Thank you so much for your help. I feel better now.
Thanks a lot.
thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 9

I would not leave cakes with fresh strawberries in room temperature. I always let the ganache covered cake settle in the fridge.

kkitchen Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:03am
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much Rylan - I will do that, I just didn't want the Ganache to turn mushy on me when I was covering it with the fondant.

kkitchen Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much Rylan - I will do that, I just didn't want the Ganache to turn mushy on me when I was covering it with the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%