How Much Ganache For 3 Tiered Cake!!

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm by MissRobin

MissRobin Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know how much ganache to cover 12, 9, and 6" cakes. Need to make now, please help!!!

7 replies
adree313 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 8

i used 18 oz of milk chocolate and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream to cover a two tier (6 and 8") and it was a fairly thin layer. i don't know how much this helps, but maybe it wil give you a little bit of an idea.

Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 8

5 pounds of semisweet chocolate and 2.5 whipping cream will do, maybe with a little bit of extra.

MissRobin Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 8

Well, I used 3 lbs of chocolate and it was plenty. My issue with it is, It is not getting that really solid shell that I was wanting. I used the 3:1 ratio, but my chips must have too much cocoa butter or sometinig. It is solid but just not like the dark, maybe that is as good as it get with white ganache.

mandysue Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, I think I read somewhere on here that white chocolate doesn't get as hard. I can't verify that, but it seems that was the case.

mandysue Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 8

Do you think 3 lbs would cover 3 - 6 inch rounds with enough to fill them also? You said 3 lbs was plenty.

Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 8

I suggest you add more white chocolate to get it firmer.

Mandy, I've used 4.5 pounds of semisweet chocolate and 2 pounds of cream (I added an extra half a pound) and covered a 10, 8 and two 6 inch rounds (my second to the last cake in my photos)--just for the coating. The tiers were about 5-6 inches tall incase you wondered. Maybe you can use my experience as a guide of how much ganache you'd need.

MissRobin Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 8

Mandysue, that would be more than enough for that amount of cake. I don't think white chocolate ganache does get as hard as the dark. It is also a little sweet for my taste. I was doing a wedding cake and used the WASC and just didn't want to use the dark chocolate, don't think my friend would have liked it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%