Do You Put Frosting Under Fondant?

Decorating By jennybean7985 Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 12:12pm by minicuppie

jennybean7985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennybean7985 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 12

im planning to make my own marshmellow fondant and was a little confused.. i was going to use a cookie dough filling in between the layers of cake then cover the whole thing with buttercream then lay fondant over the frosted cake

is that correct or no?

i dont want the cake to sweat or get yucky

should a fondant covered cake be refrigerated? it will have fondant and modeling chocolate figures on it if that makes a difference

icon_lol.gif

11 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 12

Yes you want a little frosting under the fondant, it evens out the cake, sorta fills in any little imperfections so you can get a smooth looking fondant. No need to refridgerate.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 12

you always need something under fondant, whether bc or some kind of jam, to get the fondant to stick to the cake.
most people do a crumb coat of bc, thickness up to yourself.
you only really need to refridgerate a cake if it has a perishable filling. some people have problem refidgerating fondant anyway.
xx

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:00am
post #4 of 12

I prefer a really light crumbcoat of buttercream...better yet, use ganache.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 12

Watch that cookie dough...I pulled raw dough out of my grown child's hand the other day...raw eggs...

jennybean7985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennybean7985 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 12

its not real cookie dough.. there is no raw eggs but there is butter, milk, pudding and whipping cream in the filling so idk if i should refridgerate it and then cover it in fondant and decorate it the morning im gunna be cutting it or what.... so lost icon_cry.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 12

im no good at determining if recipes need refridgerated or not. i dont know if the pudding can stabilize the dairy or not. im sure you can research online if no one gets back to you here.
you can refridgerate decorated cakes, but you have to be wary of condensation on the fondant, some times it can cause problems, sometimes it doesnt. if you refridgerate the cake before fondanting, you are best to let the cake come to room temperature to avoid problems.
xx

bsawyer78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsawyer78 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 12

Search Food Network.com for Cookie Dough Truffles by Paula Dean! They are FABULOUS! I have used them to make the truffles and to put as a filling in my cakes! It uses no dairy, just sweetened condensed milk! Try it, I have done it and it needs no refrigeration!

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 12

I've gotta try that one bsawyer78! However, jennybean, I can be of no assistance-sorry.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Watch that cookie dough...I pulled raw dough out of my grown child's hand the other day...raw eggs...

i can't tell you how many times i licked the bowl growing up.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

i can't tell you how many times i licked the bowl growing up.

OMG I still do!! So do my kids. Always have too. It's their treat for helping me clean, or staying away or quickly grabbing things I need when my hands are full.

cake batter and cookie dough

Choc chip cookie dough- oh my- make an extra batch because half will disappear off the pan while I'm checking in the oven. It's like house elves appear out of nowhere and steal the dough balls!!

but then again I feed my kids tiramisu with raw eggs and liquor so...... what can I say?! icon_evil.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 12

I know, but that was before your food could kill you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%