Indydebi's Buttercream Icing Question

Decorating By CdnTX066 Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 4:25am by Texas_Rose

CdnTX066 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CdnTX066 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #1 of 3

Hi Cake Goddesses icon_biggrin.gif
I made the dreamwhip fortified buttercream icing tonight and though it tastes pretty good, (a little sweet), it was REALLY fluffy. I had a hard time getting it to stick to the cake for the crumbcoat layer. I do use a 2" tip for loading it on, but even so, the slightest touch from my spatula, it would fall/peel off! I use the hot water dip to help my spatula slide well, but even so, it was tough to get a smooth layer. Is there a tip for using this buttercream recipe? Should I chill it well before trying to to the top coat of icing? Would it be better to use a different buttercream on the top? Keep in mind, Texas is hot and I don't want to lose it to the bottom of the board.
The test cake was good, and even better my 16 yr old son did the washing up afterwards!
I am baking the ordered cake tomorrow, and need a plan for the icing..
Catherine

2 replies
in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:23am
post #2 of 3

Hi it could be that it may need a little more milk. Just IMHO though. Good luck.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:25am
post #3 of 3

I've had it come out like that once, when I tried replacing the milk with amaretto. I think the frosting was too dry. Can you add a tiny bit of milk to the icing you have left? Not too much or it won't crust.

I never put mine in the fridge because I know it will sweat when I take it out. The time my buttercream came out too fluffy, I was covering the cake in fondant so I just rolled the buttercream out between two sheets of waxed paper and put it on in sheets. I had to moisten the surface a little to get the fondant to stick on, which I usually don't when I use Indydebi's buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%