It's Official...i'm Now A Licensed, Legal, Honest-To-

Business By Mencked Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm by KReeves

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #31 of 71

Congratulations and best wishes for years of success. Your website prices seem low to me to cover all your expenses, but it certainly looks like you did things right and got some great deals. Happy caking!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #32 of 71

Congratulations to all of you, and prosperity in your businesses, hope to be there in a couple of years Diane your website and your kitchen, looks great can,t wait to see the others

LizzyLaw06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyLaw06 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #33 of 71

oh yay! how exciting! congrats to you

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #34 of 71

How cool, I am hoping that I can have one in the future too. I am kinda hoping that I will be able to be in the country because from what people have told me they are less strict and in the rural areas especially. I am so happy for all of you that passed your inspections since I was on here last. congratulations. The only thing that I think is weird is that that inspector asked for a 6" cake to take to the lab? What did he think he would find or rather that the lab would find? I have never heard of such a thing on an inspection.

unless this was a joke and he just wanted some cake?

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #35 of 71

Diane,
WOW! You have a great workspace. May I ask how many square feet you have? I absolutely love your oven and mixer and pretty much everything else...sigh. No, not jealous - just envious ha ha.

Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #36 of 71
Quote:
Quote:

Diane,
WOW! You have a great workspace. May I ask how many square feet you have? I absolutely love your oven and mixer and pretty much everything else...sigh. No, not jealous - just envious ha ha.

I am soo with you on this one!!!

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:22pm
post #37 of 71

Congratulations Diane,

Just saw your website and your work. You will be very successful and you serve as an inspiration to all of us here who want to open a business some day.

icon_biggrin.gif

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm
post #38 of 71

That's wonderful! Congrats!! thumbs_up.gif

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #39 of 71

Congrats!! Awesome, just awesome! So inspiring!!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:41am
post #40 of 71

Thanks everyone! IsaSW I do love my oven. I knew that I really wanted a Deluxe oven after reading about various types of ovens. I think that this particular one a CR2-3 is about $3400 new or so. I found mine on Ebay for $1700. My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw it just sitting there with no bids however, it was in IA and I'm in Oklahoma! I have really wonderful family members that live in eastern NE, so the seller agreed to meet them halfway somewhere in Middle Iowa, and threw in the stand the cake oven was on as well!! People are just so nice! I've been using flower nails as my skinny heating core...they really work great! This oven does an exceptionally great job of baking cakes. I bake at about 310 degrees for about 30 min. in 2" pans. I don't even have to turn the pans.....fabulous time saver!!!!

jules5000 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:11pm
post #41 of 71

mencked, you use flower nails as your heating core? YOu are talking about the nails you make flowers on like roses right? What size pans do you use these on and this sounds like such a time saver? I don't exactly like the whole the heating core things leave, I have just worked with it. But this would save so much time and effort. I would love all the details if possible. Thank you in advance.

Mencked Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #42 of 71

Yes, they are just the nails you make flowers on. I even use them on 6" cakes, although some would say that is overkill icon_smile.gif! You have to be sure to spray them with Pam. I fill the cake pans with batter and then put the nails in the center of the pans. If the pans are larger--above 14" I sometimes even use 2 nails. The nails really help achieve a more even baking and not so much of a dome on the cake tops.

Motta Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #43 of 71

Diane,
Would you mind telling me the square footage of your kitchen? I want to know if I have enough room to do the same kind of layout. THanks so much!

Mencked Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:24pm
post #44 of 71

Sure Motta--My kitchen space is about 11'wide and about 22' long--242 square feet. The total space is 605 sq. feet. I have an office, kitchen and pantry as well as the kitchen space. I'll double check when I get back to the cake kitchen to be sure about the size though---you'd think I'd have that memorized icon_smile.gif!

Motta Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:54pm
post #45 of 71

Diane, nice size for your kitchen! Did you design it yourself? I don't have enough room for that layout so I'll have to get creative.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #46 of 71

Congratulations!!!! Being legal is a great feeling!!!!!!!

Mencked Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm
post #47 of 71

Being legal is a great feeling!!! Motta I did "design" it myself, but it was kind of like.....this will fit there, and this should be next to this, and this sink is already here, so this will go here......Just sort of a common sense approach thanks to years of baking and cookingicon_smile.gif! So far the thing that I've liked the best is one table that I bought from Sam's that is on wheels and so I maneuver that thing around so that I have extra counter space when I need it and can roll it back out of the way when I don't need it! Especially great for pouring batter into lots of pans or having an extra place to put a wedding cake tier until it's time to stack.

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #48 of 71

Congrats I know that you are so thrilled..I do have a question how do you become LLC and how much does that cost if you don't mind me asking..I am finally licensed and never knew anything about the LLC I think thats a great thing to have.. I am so happy for you and wish you all the happiness in the world.. All you info will surely be helpful and I love your kitchen..

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #49 of 71

Thanks for sharing all of the pictures!! It looks great! Congrats!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #50 of 71

So happy for you. I'm hoping I can do something similar soon. My question is about the oven. Did it take a lot of time to get use to baking temps & times? I'm terrified to go from a regular oven to a commercial

Mencked Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:19pm
post #51 of 71

I was scared to death too dandelion, but my Deluxe oven is really spectacular. I had read that you need to bake your cakes at a lower temp in it, so since I usually bake my cakes at 325 in my regular oven, I turned the heat down to about 310 in my new cake oven and then started checking them at about 30 minutes instead of the usual 35-40 minutes that my regular oven used to take. They were done!!! I was worried that I'd have to rotate them around, but I haven't had to do that either.....it's really just a dream to bake in.....It is a Deluxe CR2-3 and it is like having the capacity of 3 full-size regular ovens.....3 huge racks to bake on....Love it!!!

Theresa--I hired a lawyer to do my paperwork, etc. He got my LLC and business name registered and I know I probably could have done it myself for far less, but I felt so much better having him do it. In total I believe I payed him about $230 and that included whatever fees I paid to the state and his time. It only took a couple of days to get it all done and I wondered why I had put it off so long....really it was me just not knowing what to do exactly. He did know, heck that's what he does day after day icon_smile.gif! Well worth whatever he charged!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #52 of 71

Multiplied congratulations--wow it looks like sucha great space. That whole 'the family's gotta eat' thing was so over rated huh? No problems now! Way way cool for you. Love the checkerboard floor too.

jules5000 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #53 of 71

Mencked, Thank you for the details. Does anyone use those bake-even strips at all? I have good luck with them for the most part. Every once in awhile they don't work, but probably 90% of the time they do. And you are saying that the nails help also? That is cool.

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #54 of 71

I use both baking strips & nails in my cakes. Even my 6"! I think this is the reason I don't really have to label my cakes.

Mencked Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:19am
post #55 of 71

I always use both bake even strips and the nails!

jules5000 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #56 of 71

thanks girls. sometimes when I get on and read the forums do I not only learn a lot I learn about how much I don't know and sometimes I feel very naive about cake decorating. You girls are great and so helpful.

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #57 of 71

What kind of dishwasher do you have? 8 min, that's what I'm talking about!!!!

Motta Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:27am
post #58 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

What kind of dishwasher do you have? 8 min, that's what I'm talking about!!!!

Hells ya, what brand is that???

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:16pm
post #59 of 71

Thanks Diane, on your explanation of the flower nail. I gave it a try this weekend and it worked, I think I will trash my heating core and just buy a bunch of flower nails.
You are so lucky to have a commercial oven like that.

Mencked Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #60 of 71

The dishwasher is a Hobart and aren't those flower nails the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%