Flower Nails And Spatulas-Can I Carry On Aircraft?

Decorating By love_to_crochet Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 4:42am by kathy164

love_to_crochet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love_to_crochet Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:35am
post #1 of 12

Has anybody tried flying with sharp cake decorating items such as spatulas, cake nails, sharp tips, etc? Do these pass thru security? I am scared to check my cake decorating supplies in my suitcase because the airline might lose my luggage.

11 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:02am
post #2 of 12

Knowing the crazy restrictions of late I'd say that the flower nail would probably be confiscated, but the tips and spatula could be OK. I'd call the airline and ask them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:03am
post #3 of 12

You might call and find out. A co-worker was flying to Hawaii and on a flight that long, she wanted to knit. She called and was told knitting needles were ok.

I am a crocheter and was making my grandchild's blanket. I didnt call ahead of time, but even tho' they pulled my carry-on because of the needle, they let me thru. (I didn't try to carry scissors, though. To cut my yarn, I had nail clippers with no nail file blade. I knew that was ok because on a previous flight, they broke off the nail file part and gave me the clippers back as "ok").

But just be sure you dont' have any dangerous tubes of toothpaste on ya! Now THAT'S risky stuff!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

rblee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rblee Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:12am
post #4 of 12

This past Sunday I was stopped and my carry-on opened. He pulled out my 1-gal ziplock bag with the choc MMF in it and said, "Some kind of fudge?" I answered, "No, it's chocolate marshmallow fondant and it's really good!" He sent my carry-on through the scanner again, holding my bag of choc mmf in his hand. He gave me back my mmf then let us be on our way.

(Okay, mmf isn't sharp or pointy. It's an airport story, though.)

love_to_crochet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love_to_crochet Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the comments, everybody. I am amazed to hear that a gallon-sized bag of fondant made it through. I am glad it didn't look like "liquid" to the security person!

I think I am going to have to ship my supplies by UPS before my trip.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 12

The flower nail should be OK - just be prepared for them to pull you aside for a second look. Because it is not sharp, not a blade, and it is not long I would not see why they would take it away. I would probably only carry smaller spatulas just to be safe too.

I never check bags so I am always carrying on strange (but acceptable) things. I have carried bags of piping tips, small rounded spatulas, etc. countless times.

Last month I had to fly to Chicago for 2 days to repaint & clean a condo that I rent, and did not want to have to buy all my supplies when I got there. I carried on a small screwdriver to take off the light switch covers (TSA allows if under 7 inches), various cleaning supplies (no liquids), and a Swiffer mop! (broken down into 3 parts).

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 12

They probably thought the chocolate fondant was C-4 plastic explosive. Personally I would ship my cake stuff ahead. I wouldn't check my baggage with my precious tools and risk losing them. Good luck.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #8 of 12

i just asked a question and then I saw this thread. Does anyone know if you can take a cake on a plane? I assume no, but could you get permission? Or how to transport a cake from NY to FL without the obvious answer of driving? Just curious. It came up tonight in a conversation with a friend and I have no clue what the answer is.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:36am
post #9 of 12

I was given trouble for a rounded offset spatula once. I think it depends on the TSA agent and how his/her day's been going......

When I made my son's wedding cake in Las Vegas, I carried on the layers of cake (no problems), but put all the other supplies in checked luggage (fondant, buttercream, tips, nails, etc.). The TSA left a love note saying that they'd looked in the bag, but other than that, no trouble.

I do think that the flower nails could be iffy.

HTH
Rae

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:20am
post #10 of 12

They took away my blunt (ish) cross stitching needle on a domestic flight here in Oz once. The flower nail might indeed be iffy.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But just be sure you dont' have any dangerous tubes of toothpaste on ya! Now THAT'S risky stuff!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Uh, my FIL has a good story about toothpaste in a carry on. He was almost arrested! And totally pissed off!

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:42am
post #12 of 12

I am flying into Vegas for the cake camp too. Each airline is different. I will be on Alaska one way, and US airways the other way. You can not take any of the sharp looking tools, yes, even spatulas on either of these airlines. They all must be packed in the checked luggage. Flower nails will not be allowed except in the checked baggage also. When you know what airline or airlines, you will be on, go onto their website and there is a place on each one that you can see exactly what they will allow and they also tell you what they charge for the checked baggage etc. You can also call, but when i called, they first told me to look online, and that is what they will go by. I hope that helps.
OH, you can take a cake on board though. Hmm.. go figure.
Kathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%