Convection Oven Or Not?

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 3:35am by Kitagrl

jolie1977 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 8

I'm wondering if most of you out there use a convection oven to bake your cakes or if you use a normal oven?

I've used both and find that my "normal" oven always seems to cook the bottom more than the top of the cake.

With the convection oven (at my neighbor's house), my cakes always bake perfectly and evenly...

I obviously like the convection oven, but can't afford one... wondering if maybe it's just my oven that isn't working properly or if convection is the only way to go?

Any insights and/or advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm a soon to be "single" mother of 3 and will be relying heavily on my cake business to support myself and my children!

Thank you!

7 replies
peg818 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 8

I have convection and haven't looked back.

With your oven i would have it checked out, it doesn't sound like its working right. If its electric you could have a bad element, and if thats the case its easy enough to fix.

cakesweetiecake Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:35am
post #3 of 8

I have a convection option for my oven, but I have yet to use it for cakes. I have used it with great success for cookies.

cakesweetiecake Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 8

I have a convection option for my oven, but I have yet to use it for cakes. I have used it with great success for cookies.

Do you lower the temperature for cakes?

VS8894 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 8

I have a convection, but haven't tried it for cakes yet. What temperature do you use with your pans? In my oven setting I use 325.

Vicki

jolie1977 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:03am
post #6 of 8

Vicki, for baking cakes in the convection oven, I set the temp to 325.

VS8894 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #7 of 8

Jolie 1977,

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try.

Vicki

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:35am
post #8 of 8

Mine is regular/convection (home kitchen) and I find regular is just fine for cakes...the fan blows as it heats up and then stops. I think the convection is a bit too harsh for the cakes (but then the cakes are so close to the fans as compared to a commercial convection) but mine bakes fairly evenly on regular "bake" for a regular oven.

I love the convection for non-cake stuff though, and have used it for cookies before too.

I got a Samsung, has three racks...great for my home kitchen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%