Julie & Julia

Lounge By Sugarflowers Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 2:53am by veronica720

Sugarflowers Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 26

The movie Julie & Julia will be coming out in August and I though it might br fun for some of us that live in close proximity go see the movie together. I live in McKinney, TX, which is about 20 miles north of Dallas. Is anyone interested in meetingfir lunch and then going to the movie?

It would pretty cool if people in other areas did something similar and then we could discuss it here.

Just a thought.

Michele

25 replies
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 26

would love too....but that's a wee bit to far for me to drive.

any one in around Fayetteville, NC up for doing it?

-----

another field trip for us all to do:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/juliachild/

and the companion site: http://americanhistory.si.edu/kitchen/

------

I wonder just how many of us baby boomers, and especially professional chefs, have HER to thank for our love all things food.

She invented "foodies"

and I LOVED watching her show, yellow pad in hand.

http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/

-----

a wonderful teacher -- fondly remembered, sadly missed.

Mike1394 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

would love too....but that's a wee bit to far for me to drive.

any one in around Fayetteville, NC up for doing it?

-----

another field trip for us all to do:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/juliachild/

and the companion site: http://americanhistory.si.edu/kitchen/

------

I wonder just how many of us baby boomers, and especially professional chefs, have HER to thank for our love all things food.

She invented "foodies"

and I LOVED watching her show, yellow pad in hand.

http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/

-----

a wonderful teacher -- fondly remembered, sadly missed.

Along those lines Doug. I was just given My Great GrandMothers original copy of Fannie Farmers cook book. Now how much did FF inspire Julia

ike

snowboarder Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 26

I'm looking forward to seeing this film. I didn't read the book, but I did read her Salon blog "live". I loved reading the comments almost as much as her posts.

Just curious to know if anyone else read the blog vs the book?

Doug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 26

have started to look at Julie's blog -- fun stuff there. she's got a knack for writing...and in some ways sounds like Julia herself in the ways she talks about food.

------

HEY ALL -- THIS COULD BE FUN>>>>>>

Tell a "Me & Julia Moment" story.

Something you learned, remember, did, etc. from watching any of her shows.

---------

I remember -- how much FUN she made food.

from breaking whole chicken half by slamming it down hard on the chopping board to using her "fright" knife as a pointer.

but the one episode that hooked me for life --

the original B/W episode where she showed how to make crepes.

Laughed sooooo hard when the first one did come out right and she ever so nonchalantly picked up, tossed it over her shoulder onto the floor and made some off hand comment about the studio technicians being upset by the mess, but that's ok, they get to eat the food. (wouldn't have just killed to be a techi on the show?)

so...of course I had to make crepes too Julia's way. Sure enough, the first one was bad just like she said it would be -- so bad even the dog wouldn't eat it. But the rest came out just fine.

----

and what's your Me & Julia Moment ???

Deb_ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:16am
post #6 of 26

Of course I blame....I mean credit Julia for my "sipping wine" while I cook habit icon_lol.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:05am
post #7 of 26

All this talk about Julia is great, but is anyone interested in getting together to see the movie and having lunch or dinner together?

Michele

Sox-n-Pats Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:15am
post #8 of 26

I'm game for those in Las Vegas!! I'm near the Santa Fe, Texas, and the Aliante

I love the Chicken Sister's episode. Hilarious.

And yes, how just about every recipe had some sort of liquor in it. She did a chocolate cake with rum in one episode. There was always wine, congac, rum, madera... you name it, she cooked with it.

My kinda gal!!!

tamarawagner99 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

All this talk about Julia is great, but is anyone interested in getting together to see the movie and having lunch or dinner together?

Michele

I totally would be, Michele, but I live in Ga! I can't wait to see this
movie!

tamarawagner99 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Of course I blame....I mean credit Julia for my "sipping wine" while I cook habit icon_lol.gif

Oh, is that where I got it from? icon_smile.gif

I actually never watched Julia or read Julie's blog, but I loved the book and can't wait to buy MtAoFC.

Is there any way to watch her shows now?

Doug Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 26

interesting article on the food aspect of the film

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dining/29movie.html?ref=movies

(and the trailers and clips are a hoot!)

-----

isn't any one in NC going to go to the movie besides me?!

Cheyanne25 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #12 of 26

A bunch of my friends from culinary school and I have a date to see the movie. Most of us arn't old enough to have learned from Julia first hand, but almost all of my chef professors had some kind of story to tell us! My head chef even had a few oppertunities to meet her/work with her and loved to tell us just how TALL a women she was (doesn't help that he's a wee little thing of a man lol).

7yyrt Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 26

Sorry Doug, but you have to sign in to read that link.

mbt4955 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 26

Michele, I would jump on this if I still lived in East Texas. Unfortunately, I'm a little far away for dinner and a movie ... I would love to get to meet you one day. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #15 of 26

Might want to make another post. -
Something like "Texas members: want to watch Julie & Julia?"

cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:45am
post #16 of 26

I'm not really near anyone - but I just wanted to chime in and say that, I can't wait til it comes out inn 2 days!!

-Tubbs Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 26

I'm a little far away to join in the party icon_wink.gif Just couldn't resist sharing something I heard the other day.

A lady was being interviewed on CBC radio - I didn't catch who she was, because I tuned in late, but it sounded like she was a Toronto food writer who became friends with Julia Child.

Anyway, she told a story about another food writer wanting to take Julia out for lunch one day - this is when she was ailing and in a wheelchair. He asked her where she'd like to go, and she replied, in that voice:
"I'd like to go to COSTCO, for a HOT-DOG!"

Made me smile!

nannie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #18 of 26

My local PBS station had "Baking with Julie" last weekend.

She had a pastry chef detailing her signature cake. Genesois, meringue buttercream filling, raspberries with creme fraise filling on another layer with a dark chocolate wrap and dark chocolate "bows" decorating the top.

Gave me a sugar headache just watching.

tamarawagner99 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

My local PBS station had "Baking with Julie" last weekend.

She had a pastry chef detailing her signature cake. Genesois, meringue buttercream filling, raspberries with creme fraise filling on another layer with a dark chocolate wrap and dark chocolate "bows" decorating the top.

Gave me a sugar headache just watching.

Thanks for mentioning! I just did a search on Julia on my guide (At&T Uverse) and found "Julia Child's Kitchen Wisdom". It's an hour and a half, and it looks like black and white. One showing started today at 8 pm EST (still on), but I've got it set to record at 2 am on the 17th (only other showing I found). I've never watched Julia before, so I am so excited! icon_smile.gif

Parable Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:45am
post #20 of 26

So has anyone else seen the movie? DH and I went last night and I loved it! I could have turned around and walked back in to see it a second time immediately. It was so enjoyable.

Through the whole movie I kept thinking about the excitement I read everyday day here on CC. It made me think of our little community.

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #21 of 26

Hubby and I are going tomorrow (Sunday). I cant' remember the last time I was in a movie theater. Seriously. It's our anniversary weekend and a wild night on the town for is is a matinee!!! Geesh, we're officially old! 21 married years as of last Thursday .... 23 total years together! He's my best buddy!! He even borrowed a Caddy from the dealership for us to toodle around in this weekend! (ah, the benefits of working at a Cadillac dealership!)

My favorite Julia moment is when she mentioned the concern some folks have about the pain lobsters feel when they are dropped into boiling water. Then she whacks it in the head and says, "There! Now he won't feel a thing!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Parable Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My favorite Julia moment is when she mentioned the concern some folks have about the pain lobsters feel when they are dropped into boiling water. Then she whacks it in the head and says, "There! Now he won't feel a thing!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Then you are going to love love this movie. I am sure your hubby will too! Have a great weekend! Can't wait to hear your review.

ptanyer Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #23 of 26

I saw it this afternoon icon_biggrin.gif Oh how I enjoyed it! It was absolutely wonderful. And the audience really laughed in all the right places. Seeing her kitchen at the end really brought back memories to me. She was the absolute very 1st cooking show I ever watched back when I was a young Navy wife and we couldn't afford cable and so I watched a lot of PBS...when you could watch TV for free on analog...lol. I remember many snowy Saturday and Sundays watching her and learning things.

I'm going to buy this movie when it comes out on DVD so that I can watch it over and over again.

Meryl really captured the essence of Julia and Amy was so adorable and believable as Julie. How many times have we CCer's had melt downs at one time or another...of course, we all have at one time or another icon_lol.gif

To quote Parable:

Quote:
Quote:

Through the whole movie I kept thinking about the excitement I read everyday day here on CC. It made me think of our little community.

My thoughts exactly!

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #24 of 26

Had a great day with my hubby and it included seeing this movie. Man, it HAS been years since I was in a theater! $6.50 for a matinee ticket? $5 for a small popcorn? Are you kidding me???? $4.50 for a coke????? Holy crap! Anyone besides me remember when you could go to a matinee with a couple of bucks, get a ticket, coke and popcorn,maybe a candy bar and have money left over? icon_redface.gif

Agree that Meryl Streep did a GREAT job with this character.

The only flaw the was the 20-something sitting 3 seats to my left. The light from her phone kept distracting me everytime she sent and received a TEXT MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif Geesh, kids today!!!!

JodieF Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #25 of 26

My mom and I went yesterday and totally enjoyed every minute. Both actresses did a wonderful job.

Jodie

veronica720 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:53am
post #26 of 26

Sugarflowers did you see it already?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%