Stacked Cake With Fondant

Decorating By tofusalem Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm by HamSquad

tofusalem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tofusalem Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 5

I know that you put the tiers into the fridge with a crumb coat to harden. How can I put the plastic dowels into the tiers ( Coast cake plates with attached plastic tube dowels) after applying Fondant without wrecking the Tier? It will be Marshmallow Fondant which is a little softer. I'm afraid the plastic tubes will pull the Fondant into the holes and move the Fondant Frosting.
icon_eek.gif

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I don't know what type of dowel you have mentioned. But when I put my dowel rods in, I put them as soon as I cover the cakes with fondant. And leave it aside. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 5

I've only used the wilton hollow plastic dowels, but they cut right through the marshmallow fondant. It doesn't affect the appearance of the tier in any way...it's just like cutting out a piece with a plastic cookie cutter.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 5

I've used the Coast system for a Castle wedding cake, but the frosting was BC. I love the Coast plates and dowels. Just did a cake in MMF, had to
push in pretzel rods for palm trees. I did this while the fondant was soft. I had no problems. Maybe there is some CCers who do this on set MMF.
HTH
Hammy

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 5

I've used the Coast system for a Castle wedding cake, but the frosting was BC. I love the Coast plates and dowels. Just did a cake in MMF, had to
push in pretzel rods for palm trees. I did this while the fondant was soft. I had no problems. Maybe there is some CCers who do this on set MMF.
HTH
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%