Fondant Covered Cakes

Decorating By Dickster Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm by Dickster

Dickster Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,
Being a novice I have a couple of questions on fondant covered cakes.
1. Can you refrigerate the cake after you cover it with fondant or wil the fondant sag when it comes back to room temp?
2. Since most people don't like to eat the fondant, do you typically remove the fondant when the cake is being cut and served?

I really appreciate any help and insight. thanks

3 replies
Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:22am
post #2 of 4

1. Can you refrigerate the cake after you cover it with fondant or wil the fondant sag when it comes back to room temp?

-I always refrigerate my cakes with no problems however some people get condensation.

2. Since most people don't like to eat the fondant, do you typically remove the fondant when the cake is being cut and served?

-I don't like the taste of Satin Ice, some people do. It's their choice. Try chocolate fondant because it tastes better.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:41am
post #3 of 4

1. I don't refrigerate. I think it depends on the climate where you live. It's very humid here and my fondant gets sticky and wet in the fridge.

2.I use marshmallow fondant, and I flavor it, so people generally eat it with the cake. I don't think it would look very appetizing to serve a peeled cake, so it would probably be better to serve it with the fondant on and then let people decide whether they wanted to eat it or not. If not, they could leave it on the plate.

Dickster Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much for your responses. I have been making my own marshmallow fondant but it ends up being too sweet for most people and just gets left on the plates, so switched to regular fondant. I really appreciate all the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%