Wasc Chocolate Version Sink??

Decorating By Kookie Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 2:45am by Stacey16303

Kookie Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 11

I made 9x13 WASC chocolate version two times today.
I sift the cake mix as someone mention it and
bake 325F instead of 350F today. I usually bake cakes 350F and never sift the cake mix.
Both cakes are sink the center of the cake.
I don't know why?
Does anyone know?
Thanks.

10 replies
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 11

Are the ingredients too cold?

cathie_shinnick Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 11

It always happens to me too, but I dont know why. I baked an 8x3 choc wasc today, as soon as I took it out, I take a 7" cake circle and put it on top of the cake and push down. it evens out the top of the cake. I dont know how deep yours fell, but you could try it with a 1/4 sheet cake board. dosen't answer your question, but maybe helpful to save it.

cathie_shinnick Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Could it be that the milk and sourcream are too cold???? I always have my eggs at room temp, but never thought to have the milk and sourcream room temp too.

Kookie Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:

eggs and coffee was cold.
but I thought I can use cold ingredients for cake mix recipes.
Did you mix on low speed for 2minutes ?

Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 11

Hmmm I think the milk and sourcream being cold is ok but I've read it somewhere that you should use eggs in room temperature.

I've made the original WASC base recipe with every type of cake mix, with different substitutions but same proportions and I was always successful. I am not sure why both of you having problems. Could it possibly the way you are mixing it?

Kookie Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:

Hmmm I think the milk and sourcream being cold is ok but I've read it somewhere that you should use eggs in room temperature.

I've made the original WASC base recipe with every type of cake mix, with different substitutions but same proportions and I was always successful. I am not sure why both of you having problems. Could it possibly the way you are mixing it?

Do you sift dry ingredients?
Do you beat it on low speed or medium?
I have to make it again. I don't want to make another sink cake...

Thanks.

beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:32am
post #8 of 11

This always happens to me when i use DH. It seems to only be an issue with chocolate WASC for me! When I use BC for choc WASC, no problem! Weird, huh?

Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #9 of 11

Yes, I did sift all the ingredients. I beat it in medium speed for two minutes.

Kookie Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #10 of 11

I used all ingredients for room temperature and beat in 2 minutes on medium speed and baked it on 350F instead of 325F.
The cake turned out beautifully.
First, the oven was set on 325F but after baking about 20 minutes or so
I changed the temp to 350F.
I am guessing I need to bake WASC for 350F.

Beachcakes, try to bake on 350F next time.
Kookie

Stacey16303 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:45am
post #11 of 11

I was having trouble with sinking in the middle in all of of my cakes over the 4th of July. I used flower nails in all of them and they still sank. The last cake I made, a couple weeks ago, I didn't mix it for the full 2 minutes - I only mixed until blended and they came out GREAT! So that's what I'm going to do going forward since it worked. All my ingredients are at room temp, too (eggs, sour cream, milk, etc...). I also read somewhere that if you cream your butter and sugar too long, too, that can make your cakes sink. So I was mindful of that as well this last time. This may help you out - I know how frustrating it is and was so happy when my cakes turned out this last time icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%