Leveling - How To Prevent Disaster??

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm by SuzyNoQ

ZlatkaT Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 15

OK - I don't have Agbay (maybe Santa hears me), just have the Wilton leveler. Let say I bake a cake, cut the dome, torte, put BC dam and fill. Then put it together and see it i not level. Is there any way how to fix this at this point?? Before putting crumb coat on it?
I am making my biggest project this weekend and wanted to do it right (3 tier stacked wedding cake). Scared to death. icon_confused.gif

14 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 15

Are you sure your sides matched up properly? I cut a slight notch in the side of my cakes, and when I put the top layer back onto the bottom, I match the notch up so it's even all the way around.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ZlatkaT Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 15

I am not baking yet... all I say IF icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 15

Just level the top with your icing.

tiggy2 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 15

Use a level before you ice and again after you apply the icing. If not level add more icing. Your support system will actually make everything level as long as the supports in each tier are cut the same height. Cut them to the highest side of the tier.

AngelFood4 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 15

AHHH! I'm making my 1st 3-tierd cake. I crumb coated each tier (12-9-6) with BC late last night and noticed this morning that the 12" tier is not leveled. I will be covering them in MMF tonight. Will adding extra icing to level it off hold up under the MMF? The BC I used does crust. The 12" tier will be decorated with large diamond cutouts so if it is not leveled correctly, it may be really noticable.
I'm debating whether to just scrape all the BC and filling out, level it, then crumb coat it again OR, I'm going out on a limb here, try to fix it by adding a wedge of mmf under the actual, final, sheet of mmf to get it leveled. I just want it to be perfect and I'm frazzled about what to do. Just goes to show you that I should not have been doing this late at night and exhausted, LAL.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 15

If you want it to be perfect I would scrape the BC off, level the cake, and re-ice.

ZlatkaT Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 15

Don't want to look dumb, but how do you fix already leveled, tored and filled cake?

leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:45am
post #9 of 15
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

Don't want to look dumb, but how do you fix already leveled, tored and filled cake?

Well, if its WAS leveled, there wouldn't be a problem . .

Scrape down, take it apart and cut off the high part. I use a level level that projects a line onto the cake to get the icing at the top edge level. $10 at the hardware store.

Other than that, I love my Agbay.

ZlatkaT Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 15

Thank you. Just done my cakes, and looks fine!!!!

beachcakes Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #11 of 15

I have the dinky Wilton leveller and it serves its purpose 'til I can get an Agbay! I torte and fill and then double check with a torpedo level to make sure it's totally level. At that point you can press down on the high spots (sometimes your filling can be a little unlevel). I've not had to match up the layers - if they're torted level, there's no problem. Then crumbcoat, ice/fondant as usual.

AngelFood4 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:29am
post #12 of 15

Leahs, you are right, I was a dummy and didn't level it to begin with. I have never needed to level a cake before but this was also the 1st time that I baked 3 cakes at one time in the same oven which I think may have caused it (still learning). It didn't look off when I stacked them but after a nights rest, one look at the cake and I just thought, how could I have missed it! Don't have an agbay (on my list of things to get next) and can't cut a straight line so I ended up digging out my level and adding more of the crusting BC to the lower side which helped it. I will level all my cakes from now on - LOL! Now on to my next forum search...how to avoid bulges.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions!

SuzyNoQ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 15

What about putting skis on your Wilton leveler, I haven't added mine yet but there is a whole thread about it. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-641144.html

cherrycakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 15

I think I may be missing something - are the extra feet for weight or stability?

SuzyNoQ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 15
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I think I may be missing something - are the extra feet for weight or stability?

They are some sort of plastic skis (my husband is going to cut up our old cutting board when we replace it) attached to the feet of the leveler. (Not something from Wilton) that stablizes it and makes it easier to use, at least that is how it seems from what I have read.

Quote by @%username% on %date%