Yoshi Cake..any Tips For Next Time?

Decorating By ChimbleySweets Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm by ChimbleySweets

ChimbleySweets Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 4

This was a cake I made for a friend's sister's birthday yesterday..It was my first adventure in Rice Krispie Treats (and at making a large character cake). The cake is a stacked four layer yellow (boxed mix) cake that I only added 1 TBSP of oil to instead of the 1/3 cup it called for to make it a little sturdier for carving (which still tasted great)..then I carved into the basic body shape of Yoshi.

The head and legs I made from RKT, and I don't know if I made them too tightly compacted and therefore heavy, or if the dowel I used to attach the head to the cake (it was about a 1/2" wooden dowel that I covered in plastic wrap so it wouldn't touch the cake directly) was a little too wide for this use, but as soon as I put the head on the cake, it began it's droop to the right. Trying to fix it only made the RKT start to break..I wrapped the head in double layers of fondant to make sure the dowel didn't come tearing through, and then made sure the fondant for his back wrapped around the bottom of the head to hold it in place a little more securely (so it wouldn't fall anymore than it already had).

Needless to say, Yoshi was looking pretty depressed at this point with his head cocked downward and to the right. It looked like an Eeyore impersonation..So I added the little fondant birthday cake in front of him to make him at least appear to be looking down at something, not just pouting..

I am still VERY new to cake making, so if any of you have any ideas as to what might of caused his head to do this, or if you have any tips for the next time I try a cake like this, I would greatly appreciate them!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1423586.html

(I finished him at 2 pm, and didn't take him where he needed to go until almost 7pm...by 9:30 he was still standing when they carved him open and started eating him, so THANKFULLY this was a mini-disaster..at least his head didn't droop any farther or fall off!!!)

3 replies
txsteph Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #2 of 4

I think he turned out great. Sorry no tips for you, I have not used RKTs yet. But really good job on Yoshi

natou Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 4

I think your cake came out really good and the idea to add the small cake was clever!

ChimbleySweets Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 4

thanks icon_wink.gif the small cake really helped him to stop looking so depressed, I wish I had taken a picture to show the difference lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%