Oh Where To Begin! Help With Filling Please!

Baking By anotherlisa Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm by JenJane

anotherlisa Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 3

So this is my first visit to cake central.WOW. There is so much information and fantastic advise here. Wish I'd have known about this site for my last cake!

Anywho, I'm making a 3 tiered wedding cake for a friend of mine. White fondant with super brite pink and orange gerbera daisy flowers.

I have sifted through recipes on this site for some inspiration. So far I've decided to make a box cake (no need to try a scratch cake on someone's wedding day). Rhonda's Ultimate MMF rather than Wilton fondant, but I'm stuck with the filling thing.

I've used 1/2 custard with 1/2 whipped cream, but it isn't stable enough and just ends up squishing out the sides of the cake. I'll pipe a damn with a stiff buttercream, but if anyone knows what would work out as a nice stiff filling I would be awefully appreciative!

Any suggestions on the choices I've made so far would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks a bunch!

2 replies
brincess_b Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 3

i usually just use regular buttercream as a filling, flavoured with whatever is needed. sometimes jam too icon_smile.gif
if you want to get more creative, theres some good ones in the recipes section.

JenJane Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 3

As long as you have a dam you should be alright. Make sure you use supports for the tiers that way the weight of the top cake isn't on the cakes below without them it would put pressure and the filling would squeeze out. Plus make for a very unstable cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%