Ruined Cake Pans?!

Decorating By chqtpi Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 7:00pm by 7yyrt

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 4

My Wilton Cake pans, (2 six inch, 2 eight inch, and 2 ten inch) were washed in the dishwasher with Cascade with bleach and now look horrible!! The shiny finish is gone and is replaced by this chalky, filmy looking (although there is no residue feel), finish. I tried rewashing with regular soap and water and nothing! Are they ruined, or is there anything I can do? With regular cascade, ive washed them a million times, but something about this new bleach formula screwed with my pans! What do i do?!

3 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 4

Perfect opportunity to order some Magic Lines! icon_biggrin.gif But seriously, I understand cake pans in dishwasher are a no no. I don't have a dishwasher and never plan to, but that's another story. I like handwashing. Especially in the winter, nice and toasty!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 4

not ruined

they'll still work just fine

ever seen pans in a working bakery -- very "ick" looking -- not all all shiny.

----
shiny does not = it works and does a good job. -- it merely says barely used.

IMHO - i've never understood the fascination w/ "SHINY" ....

it's a mess to clean, shows every fingerprint/smudge under the sun.

I hate new wooden spoons -- to "new" -- i enjoy watching the wood age and turn dark - develop a rich patina.

Cast iron cookware cooks better AFTER it has developed a thin film of baked on oils/grease -- no longer looks pristine.

personally I'd mistrust any worker (baker, decorator, car mechanic, plumber, carpenter, etc.) who's tools were "shiny" as either being a total newbie or totally terrible and can't get enough work to have tools that look well used.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 4

They oxidized, that's all.
I freaked the first time that happened and tossed my pans. Now I know it isn't a problem. Wish I'd kept those pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%