Twilight Cake: How To Make The Flower?

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 2:36am by AimeeTheCakeLady

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:18pm
post #31 of 37

Here are ones I made for Twilight cakes I did last year. I basically cut out a large leaf from fondant. If you don't have the ball tool the edge of your fingers might work to make the creases in it. I put them on crumpled up foil to dry...before drying I pulled and ripped the edges for the frayed look. Then when dry I painted red food coloring on them. They aren't the best but everyone liked them.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1292043.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1294397.html

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:57pm
post #32 of 37

Well, this is what I did as far as the flower http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1410727&sub=1410730 but, had a heck of a time making it...I never thought it'd be so hard to make.
I formed a fondant pea size seed (sort of)...then with a petal cutter I cut 3 different size petals..then I attempted to frill it, but as you can see, I didn't frill enough...then I put the petals together and painted the edges with super red edible color. Not the best flower ever, but that's how I did it, and...the b-day girl loved her cake! icon_smile.gif

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:14pm
post #33 of 37

I did mine just as Berecca described. Just really frilled and thinned the edges and dried it on the end of my mini rolling pin. I hand painted the veins too. I also used the wilton tulip cutter.

mandyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyl Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:11am
post #34 of 37

These are all such great suggestions! I am making a Twilight cake soon as well and have been trying to figure out how to make the flower. This makes me want to get started!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #35 of 37

if you don't have the petal cutters and not much experience i would suggest shaping it out yourself-i started with a pea sized amount (because it was on a cookie) then a teardrop shape that i layed ontop of the pea and feathered out the edges with an exactoknife. i painted the edges and the middle vien with a mixture of red colour paste and almond flavour (or vodka will work). hope that helps i'm sure there will be a lot of new moon and werewolf cakes out soon. i have a G-force cake to do next weekend-gineapigs anyone?! lol

AimeeTheCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AimeeTheCakeLady Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:12pm
post #36 of 37

Ok... I am an inexperienced cake maker trying to get her cake on... I am opening a shop with my best friend and I am in love with twilight. I told her i wanted a twilight cake and iw ould make he decorations. I wanted to make a parrot tulip/ruffled tulip (that is what it is called) and looked on google for results. I came across your post and I thought hey... i bet i could make that flower myself. I made the flower and made a video on you tube for you and anyone else who wants to make one! once i get it done, i will post a picture of my flower. But here is the link to my video. hope this helps you!

AimeeTheCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AimeeTheCakeLady Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeTheCakeLady

Ok... I am an inexperienced cake maker trying to get her cake on... I am opening a shop with my best friend and I am in love with twilight. I told her i wanted a twilight cake and iw ould make he decorations. I wanted to make a parrot tulip/ruffled tulip (that is what it is called) and looked on google for results. I came across your post and I thought hey... i bet i could make that flower myself. I made the flower and made a video on you tube for you and anyone else who wants to make one! once i get it done, i will post a picture of my flower. But here is the link to my video. hope this helps you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%