1St Wedding Cake -Best Way To Stack Buttercream Cake Neatly?

Decorating By Moniquea Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 4:11pm by Moniquea

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 22

I am doing my first wedding cake for Saturday 12, 10, 6.

It's square and will not have borders. It will be completely smooth ***Scary***

I tried another cake like this and the buttercream dented but I was able to put a border on it... this time according to the simple design I can't ... any tips?

Terrified...

PS. WASC with one layer banana BC and one Caramel BC (as in bananas Foster) - debating where to add a little cinnamon ~ cake or caramel BC?

21 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 22

I'm also doing my first wedding cake next weekend - also square and bare!!! I have read that if you keep the dowels or support system that you're using sticking out slightly at the top of the bottom cake you can place the next tier on and the weight of the cake will push the dowels down into the cake. It would also help if you could regrigerate your cakes so the icing is cold when you're stacking. Maybe someone else can give you more suggestions. Good luck!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 22

Yes frost each tier and put in fridge to harden up. When you stack them and get any marks take a viva paper towel and smooth it. Then decorate the cake.

Moniquea Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 22

Thank you!

I will remember the refrigerated part icon_smile.gif ...

Although I've got a way to drive with the cake, about 30 min so I'm still debating if I should stack at the reception hall.

And the weather should be very hot and humid thumbsdown.gif

Any flavor recommendations on the cinnamon? I've got the cake mix dr. and cinnamon is in the snickerdoodle cake but havent' made it before...

Shelly4481 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 22

Remember a cold cake travels better so even if you stack when you get there put in fridge if possible before you take it. Keep ac in car on high. Take all the supplies to fix, extra icing, paper towel for smoothing just in case. Good luck.

Moniquea Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 22

Thank you all!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I will try to put in the frig at the venue if I don't get in the caterers way icon_wink.gif bc I don't have a/c.... I'm so excited icon_lol.gif

Well I have to go out and buy 12lbs of sugar and more icon_smile.gif

Thanks again and best wishes!

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 22

I'd add the cinnamon to the banana cake, personally. Sounds delicious by the way!!

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 22

no a/c? icon_surprised.gif that alone would terrify me in a delivery.

good luck to you.

cakeychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeychick Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 22

No kidding!! I delivered a chocolate BC cake this past weekend and I was so scared it was going to melt on the 35 mile drive. I had the ac in the car on blast. My son was so cold he had a towel wrapped around his entire body LOL! You don't know how relived I was when I pulled out of that driveway headed home!! Good luck to you indeeed

Moniquea Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks again!

.... I know, my AC broke a couple of years ago and I definately miss it. I might take my hubby's car which still has AC.

I never thought of adding the cinnamon to the banana butter cream... guess I've got some experimenting to do icon_biggrin.gif

So it will be a layer of WASC, caramel BC, layer of wasc, banana BC and last layer of WASC all topped with white vanilla BC... Wish me luck!

icon_lol.gif

Moniquea Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 22

Thanks again!

.... I know, my AC broke a couple of years ago and I definately miss it. I might take my hubby's car which still has AC.

I never thought of adding the cinnamon to the banana butter cream... guess I've got some experimenting to do icon_biggrin.gif

So it will be a layer of WASC, caramel BC, layer of wasc, banana BC and last layer of WASC all topped with white vanilla BC... Wish me luck!

icon_lol.gif

KimmyO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyO Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 22

Moniquea - I have tried that Snickerdoodle cake recipe and it is AMAZING. Also the cinnamon buttercream is fabulous.

Good luck.

Tammy21122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammy21122 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 22

How do you make the Banana BC? I did not see it in the recipes section...it sounds wonderful and I would love to give it a try icon_lol.gif

Moniquea Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 22

I found it in the recipe section under Banana Icing.. Haven't tried it yet but can't wait icon_biggrin.gif

As far as the Snickerdoodle cake, which I can't wait to try, I only plan on adding the cinnamon to the WASC if I do it at all. We already agreed to the flavors and am nervous to change the cake... does that sound like a good way to do it?

Best wishes!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #15 of 22

as far as not using a border... scares me too but I have learned that if you ice the top of the cake first and spread the icing over the edge of the top, then come in and ice your sides, pushing the icing "upward" near the top of the cake. Then take you slanted "spreader" and go around the top of the cake, smoothing in from the edge.. it gives me a nice even edge. I am still working on perfecting it but getting there.

I hope my instructions make sense and don't confuse too much !! Hard to put into words!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #16 of 22

It can be done...just Viva it!...But I do worry about no AC.. Do it in all high ratio..

Edna icon_smile.gif

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:32am
post #17 of 22

What helped me the most was watching Edna on Utube and Sugarshack's DVD Successful Stacking. The 12 and 10 inch cake can go in a 14inch cake box and just add the 6 inch when you get there. But I might just take it already stacked with the proper dowels. especially one down the center.

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:42am
post #18 of 22

My advice: DEFINATELY use a car with AC!!!

alwaysbridal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwaysbridal Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #19 of 22

Put in fridge and when you go to do final icing I always put my angled spatula in very hot water,wipe off all water from spatula and gently run along cold frosting. Hope this works.

Moniquea Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #20 of 22

Thanks!

I just watched the video, very helpful... I guess I should buy a turntable, huh?!

OK, I'm gonna take a deep breath in and go for it icon_surprised.gif So excited!!! I've got to finish my shopping today and will add a ton of support items and a long dowel.

I'm making all my buttercream this a.m. Then MMF for scrolls 2morrow and cakes 2morro nite... Fill and frost Friday - deliver and assemble Sat. at 4pm... Sound good?

Shelly4481 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm
post #21 of 22

If you stack at the venue you won't need a long dowel. Only if you travel with it stacked is when you need the long dowel.(Unless you needed the dowel for supports!!)

Moniquea Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:11pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks Shelly4481... I realized that just as I was about to get one then it dawned on me I order a 10" square masonite board (a bit overkill but hey... I'm nervous icon_wink.gif ) would have to have a whole drilled into it... I don't need the added stress icon_lol.gif

Best wishes to all who have replied and offered advice icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%