Anyone Add "extras" In Boxed Cake Mixes?

Baking By jennybean7985 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 3:37am by JanH

jennybean7985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennybean7985 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 4

im making my first "real" cake in a few weeks and im gunna do a few trial runs first i think... its for my boyfriends birthday and he wants checkerboard cake with white cake mix and chocolate cake mix...

anyone add anything extra in boxeds mixes to tweak them a bit? i was thinking of adding vanilla to the white and maybe some chocpped up hershey pieces in the chocolate.. im not sure though

i cant do anything almond or almond flavored cuz hes allergic =(

any suggestions?

my friend suggested lindt balls in the chocolate sections (maybe cut into 4 pieces and putting a tiny piece in then chocolate squares... i dont want it to burn or run into the white section though....

help =(

3 replies
woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 4

looks up macsmom's recipes. someone has a link to them in their signature. She has a HUGE list of the WASC recipes. I have only tried the traditional WASC, but let em tell you it is YUMMY!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 4

the day a box cake goes out my door unfixed/dolled-up will be a very cold day in Hades.

----

oh heavens -- not only do I add (as in the WASC recipe) sour cream, there's pudding, extra flavoring, etc.

example -- recent chocolate cake started with box dark fudge mix. then...
> extra egg,
> milk instead of water,
> butter instead of oil,
> 8oz sour cream,
> to extend more 2 cups dark fudge mix instead of flour and sugar,
> 1 TBS instant coffee for that certain "je-ne-sais-quoi" -- really enhances flavor
> 8 oz bag of mini chocolate chips
> 1/4 cup of chocolate syrup
> 2 (or was it 3?) TBS of Hersey's Special Dark cocoa powder.

(naw - I wasn't going for death by chocolate!)

and I topped it off with IndyDebi's BC recipe adapted into a Mocha BC and raspberry filling.

the mix is just premixed baking base (pay them to do the measuring!) -- a start for exploration and fun.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%