In Panic Mode Over Hot Pink

Decorating By Tomoore Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 12:43pm by OregonCakeLady

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 2

I am doing a cupcake tower this weekend. The colors are black, hot/bold pink (nothing soft or muted), and silver. Each cupcake is to have a hot pink star, dipped in sanding sugar, and a metallic silver initial in the center of the star. I cut out all of my stars last night and got up this morning to spray it with the "Electric Pink" airbrush color I bought yesterday. The problem is that there is nothing "electric" about it! ...and it has this irritating red hue to it. I was really looking for almost a neon pink that I coul tone done (a tad) with pearl. The cupcake tower is to be covered in satin ...so I was trying to make the stars and the 6" cake that will sit on top, consistent with the satiny look. icon_sad.gif Help. Any ideas of how to achieve a rich, bright pink/magenta. I got a call from the client that a magazine will be at this event and really need this to be a phenomenal display. (Can you sense my anxiety? lol). Thanks for any help. -T

1 reply
OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 2

here's an option. If you can find food dye of any kind that is the right color, you can paint over the existing color with a mixture of royal icing and vodka. Mix this stuff up like paint and it will cover most any color mistake. This is what Margaret Braun of NY does for her fabulous cakes. Give it a try on one of your stars, you might not have to start all over. Americolor makes the best HOT pink I have seen yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%