People Are Asking Me To Send Them A Sketch Of

Decorating By pattycakes55d Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 12:02pm by indydebi

pattycakes55d Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:13am
post #1 of 18

a cake design and colors so they can see what it would look like. I have heard of this being done. Is there some software I need to get or how do you, the professionals go about this? Thanks for taking the time.

17 replies
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:21am
post #2 of 18

I've honestly never had anyone ask for a sketch. I dont' sketch. I can't draw on paper. I can draw on icing.

If anyone would ever ask me for a sketch, I'd just have to honestly tell them, "I don't sketch cakes. Can't draw. That's not how i make cakes."

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:30am
post #3 of 18

There's a program called Wedding Cake Design Pro but it costs $70. You can buy a lot of colored pencils and plain white paper for that icon_biggrin.gif I've drawn my ideas before but really only for myself to get an idea of what my design will look like, not to show anyone.

jaybug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:36am
post #4 of 18

Personally, I wouldn't SEND a sketch to anyone. Other posters have said some people took their sketches to other bakers and had them copy the sketch. thumbsdown.gif

grandmom Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:41am
post #5 of 18

I use Wedding Cake Design Pro, a software package, for sketching cakes. It's not perfect, but it's doable. You can choose the tier shapes and sizes (not by specifying that the tier is 12 x 4, but by dragging a slider to increase/decrease width & height); add decorations, flowers, borders; and color the tiers.

The shortcoming of the software is that there are limited flowers, decorations and borders. And the decorations color palette is limited, but when I rose a strong objection to not being able to color a swag the same as the tier on which it was placed, they gave me a link to an unreleased version that corrected that problem. They also said they would have additional features soon. Another shortcoming is the limited tier shapes, but you can purchase an add-on for additional shapes. Yet another shortcoming is that there are tricks and tips for placing decorations, but the help file doesn't mention them. I was told some tips via email when I complained.

How I find myself using the software for planning cakes is to size, stack and color the tiers, leaving off the decorations. I then print the basic cake unadorned (several copies) and with colored pencils sketch on the decorations such as flowers, swags, borders, etc. It really helps me visualize what I want and to achieve balance and nice color combinations.

I don't remember if there was a free trial or not. Google the software name and the website will pop up.

HTH

PinkZiab Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:52am
post #6 of 18

I use colored pencils and a sketch pad. Like Debi, I'm no artist (other than in frosting, of course lol), but I got into the habit of sketching things out in culinary school (we had to sketch everything from cakes, to showpieces, to dessert platings) and now it's just part of my process. I don't send people sketches though... you get a design/sketch as part of your paid consultation (which, if you book with me, gets applied to the total cost of your order). No free designs sent out to just anyone!

OregonCakeLady Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 18

I agree. Don't do that stuff for free. They are asking for another piece of art. I do a sketch of every cake design for my customers. I only do this at consultations where they are paying a deposit. Ask them to find a picture of a cake they like and send it to you. I find it a lot easier to clear up confusion about what the cake is going to look like, however I can draw. If you are going to sketch out something for the customer to see, you need to take some time on it and make sure that they know the colors are not going to be exactly like what your colored pencils show. I take a pencil and pad to every consultation so that I can draw up new ideas based on what the customer is saying they like and don't like about the sketches that I have already drawn up and taken a lot of time on.

pattycakes55d Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 18

Maybe I can tell the story. I've just rec'd my first wedding cake order (aahh!) and they liked a pic of a plain white fondant cake with varying shades and widths of blue vertical stripes. They want the stripes in different shades of purple and want to see the colors that I will actually do. That's when they asked if I could email them a sketch with the changed colors.

What do you do to make sure (or protect yourself) that the colors are the they have asked for, especially on wedding cakes?

Bellatheball Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 18

Can you draw it up and have them ok it when they come in for a tasting?

OregonCakeLady Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 18

Just ask for a swatch of the colors. They can provide paint chips or fabric or whatever. I actually have a sherwin williams paint color book of all their colors. I have them show me the color and I write it down. I always explain that the cake might be a slightly different color. They are not at a paint store. They need to provide you with the color. That's silly to have you guess and guess until you get it right.

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 18

Do you have the pic of the cake they wanted? It would be really easy to change the colors on the photo so they could see what it would look like. There's a free photo editing software called paint.net that you could use to do it, or I could change it for you if that would be easier. You should tell them though that it's hard to get the exact colors with markers or on a computer that you'll get with frosting colors.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've honestly never had anyone ask for a sketch. I dont' sketch. I can't draw on paper. I can draw on icing.

If anyone would ever ask me for a sketch, I'd just have to honestly tell them, "I don't sketch cakes. Can't draw. That's not how i make cakes."

Which finally piques my curiosity. Is there a line you draw as far as how detailed you will do a cake? I mean, can I really tell you what I am picturing, and you say "no problemo, got it all!" icon_biggrin.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 18

Just lay a piece of paper on top of the picture they gave you and color it the colors they want.

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:45am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I mean, can I really tell you what I am picturing, and you say "no problemo, got it all!" icon_biggrin.gif

PRetty much! icon_lol.gif

I have a lot of cake photos and they are all marked with an identifying number. As we do the cut-n-paste decison making, I'll make notes on my Excel-Stick-People-Cake-Drawing (stacked boxes in the shape of a cake) next to each tier, such as "scrolls as shown on S16 bottom tier"; "Monogram in font like in S128 top tier".

A bride usually brings me a picture of the cake(s) she likes, which are in my paper file, or as she describes the cake in her head, I'll turn to various pics and ask, "You mean like this one? Or that one?"

Some people draw .... I write verbal descriptions. When possible, I cut-n-paste a pic of the cake(s) we are modeling their cake after right on my Excel sheet.

But drawing? WIth pencils? And color? Forget it. Not going to happen.

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #15 of 18

icon_biggrin.gif I figured you had to do something!

pattycakes55d Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:07am
post #16 of 18

You've given me a lot of great ideas! I really, really appreciate your time. I like the idea of the free photo editing program thank you for your kind offer Texas_Rose. Having a fandeck from a paint suplier is a great too.

Thank you for the advice and I will be cautious when making drawings.

Indydebi, I like the way you have your files set up although I'm not quite clear as to what you do with Excel. Can you please elaborate a little?

As I'm just starting, I don't have any of my own photos to show. Can I choose some photos of cakes others have done? Should I state the designer's name along with the cake photo?

I work out of my tiny condo and believe people won't think it's a professional environment like a bakery and take me seriously (don't mean to offend anyone), so do I have to have potentials come to me or could I put an album together and go to them?

A few months ago, people just started asking me for cakes and I've been doing 8-10 cakes a month. People are referring other people and I think it could turn into something, however I haven't been able to catch my breath, and have felt very overwhelmed as I've had to learn everything on the job, produce a great cake and charge for it. I'm learning everything from you guys and really am very grateful.

Thanks for listening to me. Sorry to ramble. After this, I need to ask questions about cake testings and how that all works. Are there any threads that already addressed this?

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:48am
post #17 of 18

Here's the link to a download of paint.net if you want it: http://paint.net/ and they also have a lot of plugins you can download for it, which you can get in their forum. http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=16 The plugins help you get certain effects in your photos and you may have to look through a bunch to find the ones you need, or get a bunch and try them all out, they're free after all.

I don't use it anymore because I needed a program that would integrate better with the program I was using to make simple (very simple! icon_biggrin.gif) animations, but paint.net is really the best free photo editing program I've seen. It's easier to use than photoshop too.

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:02pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakes55d

Indydebi, I like the way you have your files set up although I'm not quite clear as to what you do with Excel. Can you please elaborate a little?

I tried to attach the excel file but it woldn't let me attach it. Send me an email and I'll send it to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%