My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By mina_mina Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm by Rylan

mina_mina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mina_mina Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:07am
post #1 of 19

hi everyone
im making my first wedding cake for my husband's cousin which is this Sunday.
bride wanted 2 tier chocolate mudcake and 3 cupcakes. the cake is going to be covered with ivory fondant, gumpaste roses on the top tier and edible pearls ( which i make by hand ) for the borders.
i've got 2 questions

* she wants to pick up the cake on Saturday and take it to the hall. will it be ok to leave the cake out for a day? (wedding is on Sunday)

* im going to use mudcake for the cupcakes as well and im planning to bake the cakes on Wednesday. would the cupcakes be ok til sunday? i mean would they taste stale?

i might have some more questions in next couple of days icon_redface.gif oh and im making my daughters 3rd bday cake for saturday as well (BARBIE CAKE ) hopefully i'll manage to do both of them....

thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

18 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:16am
post #2 of 19

Hi, I have made mudcake few times. Its quite a dence and moist cake. I wouldn't bake the cupcakes on wednesday though, but would bake the other cakes. Wednesday night I would torte and fill and let them settle overnight. Thursday, bake the cupcakes and cover the cakes and start decorating. Friday continue decorating if you haven't finished and ice and decorate the cupcakes. Make your sugar flowers well in advance. You also can make the filling few days before too! icon_smile.gif

mina_mina Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 19

thank you for your reply bashini icon_smile.gif
im going to use chocolate ganache for filling and i'm going to cover the cake with it as well.
my plan was to bake the cakes on wednesday, ganache on thursday, cover it with fondant and decorate it on friday.
what do you think about cake standing outside for a day?
cheers

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 19

I use ganache all the time too. And I never put a ganached cake in the fridge. So your cakes are going to be fine. Once you cover the cakes with fondant, the cake will be fresh and moist too. And I think your plan is good too. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 19

id be more worried about will she be able to set up the cake in the hall then? make sure she has actually confirmed it with the hall before she takes the cake!
xx

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 19

If it's easier you may want to make the cupcakes and freexe them down so you don't have to bake twice

mina_mina Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 19

imanah that's a really good idea.. thank you for that icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:20am
post #8 of 19

Plus freezing will actually make your cupcakes more moist.

Now about leaving the cake for one day at the facility...I wouldn't do it!

1. I wouldn't want the bride to be picking up her own cake and driving it somewhere and then carrying it and setting it down. Because unless she does this regularly, she's not going to know how to do it safely.

2. You have no idea who is going to be there and who might cut into the cake. Or knock it over, or anything else that one can imagine.

mina_mina Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:28am
post #9 of 19

i know what you mean cylstrial . thats my worry as well but she insisted on picking up the cake cause she's picking up the other cake which is for the guests that day as well.
the groom is coming with her to pick up the cake so i will be telling him to be gentle and careful with it. plus how to store it as well.
i don't have any other choice really.
i might take some icing and extra pearls with me to the wedding so if there is any problems i'll try to fix it there.
gosh this is so stressful... i want this cake to be perfect cause its the most important day of their life and they trusted me.
hopefully everything will work out....

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:52am
post #10 of 19

I've never made a mud cake before so I can't help with that.

I honestly would not want a cake left in the hall for a whole day.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:17am
post #11 of 19

my questions... What is the weather like? Are they going to run the air conditioning the entire two days? I realize that you are in Sydney so it may not be as much of a problem, but leaving a cake out in an non-air conditioned hall would scare me to death, but it has been over a hundred every day here.

If the bride insists on picking up the cake despite your warnings/recommendations, I think you just have to let it go. I realize you want the cake to be perfect, but if they were as worried about it as you, they would follow your directions.

Are you going to the wedding? Would you feel comfortable bringing the cake with you when you go?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:55am
post #12 of 19

they have trusted you to make the cake, so why are they ignoring your professional advice that it is qustionable to do it like this? just make sure they sign on collection that the cake is in perfect condition and looks as agreed, and that you are not responible for it once it leaves your door step.
i understand bringing extras to the wedding - but remember you are there as a guest, not to spend hours trying to patch up any problems with the cake.
xx

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:31pm
post #13 of 19

Is there anyway that it would fit in a cake box? The thought of it out all night at the hall where anyone could touch it or move it stresses me out and I don't even know you. I hope that everything goes well and please post a picture when it is complete.

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:43am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

I use ganache all the time too. And I never put a ganached cake in the fridge. So your cakes are going to be fine. Once you cover the cakes with fondant, the cake will be fresh and moist too. And I think your plan is good too. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bashini, do you pour the ganache onto the cake? Do you use regular chocolate or white chocolate under fondant? This is something I would like to try but I have no idea how to do it. Is there a recipe for ganache that you like?? Thanks

mina_mina Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:06am
post #15 of 19

thank you all for your replies and concerns. i just finished my first wedding cake. i wanted to put some pics of it and get your opinions as well.
i hope you guys will like it.

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/5025/dsc04221.jpg

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4845/dsc04212w.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5347/dsc04214.jpg

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 19

The flowers were awesome! I think the cake turned out great. you will have to update us to how the cake does at the hall all night long.

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 19

The cake looks great! You did a wonderful job!

mina_mina Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #18 of 19

Just an update on the wedding cake. the groom came and picked up the cake on Saturday and said he's going to take the cake to the wedding hall and leave it in the office. i told him not to put the cake in the fridge and wrote it on the cupcake box as well.
next night when we arrived to the wedding i saw my cake on the table and i was sooooooo proud of myself icon_biggrin.gif and bride told me she loved the cake so it was all worth it icon_lol.gif
here are the pictures from the wedding...(one of the cupcakes is damaged not sure what happened there )
LL
LL

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #19 of 19

The cake looks elegant and clean! Love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%