Should I Say No To This Order?

Decorating By PianoDiva Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm by BlakesCakes

PianoDiva Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:02am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

This evening a good friend of mine, L, referred me to a friend of hers, W, to make a b-day cake for W's son, who is turning four. L raved about my cake work (which I appreciate, considering I've been doing this solely as a hobby and have had exactly ONE paid order ever!) to W, and now W wants to hire me to make this cake for her son. It's supposed to be a train cake. So far, so good, right?

The problem is that the party is August 22nd and I'm leaving town for two weeks on August 15th. Am I right in thinking that there is no way to properly preserve a decorated cake for a week? Should I tell W thanks but no thanks?

Thanks so much,
PianoDiva

5 replies
brincess_b Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:19am
post #2 of 6

youd really really b e puhing it.
some people have frozen bc cakes, maybe research those pots, see if you could try it?
xx

miny Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:49am
post #3 of 6

I wouldn't do it, even if you get to freeze it fully decorated there is still the risk of W don't liking it, (you know how people think they get always fresh cake all the time) hahaha icon_lol.gif and believe me they are going to start looking for excuses to say your cake is not good and if you are planning on doing this as a bussines you need to think on your reputation sooner rather that later, IMO enjoy yourself on your trip, there will be more opportunities for you to show your beautiful work thumbs_up.gif

txnonnie Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 6

I would not do this. I did one for a friend and she put it in the freezer, against my recommendation. When she took it out she put the fondant name and other pieces on it while frozen. The color from the fondant pieces bled and ran down the white cake icing when the cake started to thaw. Was not pretty at the party.

PianoDiva Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to pass on this one. Wonder who she's going to use instead of me? I know she was thinking of our local grocery store's bakery as a last resort. Oh brother . . .

--PianoDiva

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 6

I've had many customers require cakes at times when I'm not available. I explain that a decorated cake can be frozen, but that the defrosting process is the most critical step. I also make sure that the cake design requires little or no fondant or royal icing.

I find that modeling chocolate works better for freezing--doesn't get as gummy after defrosting, so I use that where fondant is necessary for the design.

I take the decorated cake, box it, cover the box in several layers of saran wrap, a layer or 2 of aluminum foil, and place it in a garbage bag that I get as much air out of as possible and tape shut. I tell the client to defrost the cake in all of the wrappings for 24 hrs. in the refrigerator and to then place it at room temp for at least 6 hrs.--still covered.

I've never had a single complaint or problem when people follow the directions to a "T". They are really amazed that it works, but it's all about keeping condensation from forming--and it won't form in a very airtight environment.

I always make sure that the person has the right amount of freezer and refrigerator space available, too, before I make the cake.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%