Yellow Butter Cake Covered In Fondant

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm by zenu

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 4

Hi im about to attempt 2 yellow butter cakes this weekend , which i plan to cover in fondant to tier.
Ive never done this before and im hoping the cake is solid enough to hold together once covered.
Recipie is from cake love book by warren brown.

all purpose flour,potato starch,baking powder,half and half,vanilla extract,
unsalted butter,extra fine granulated sugar,eggs.
Anyone had any expereience with a simalar cake, and coering with fondant?
id rather not make a total hash of it.

thanks

Brian

3 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:08am
post #2 of 4

I have to admit I'm not a fan of Warren Brown's cakes, but you should be fine covering them in fondant. Cover in buttercreme, let get solid in fridge (keep in mind this is what I do using a SMBC/IMBC, can't tell you what to do if your using a crusting buttercreme or any other shortening based frosting), cover away with fondant. What I notice is when people have problems is when they roll the fondant to thick, which causes it to be too heavy, causing it to droop. Another thing to watch out for is if your working with fondant & too humid of a room. Fondant likes nice & dool. I hope that helps. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 4

thankyou LaBella, i have made his chocolate butter cake before and it was quite nice, so im going to try his yellow one.
wanted to know wether it would hold up to the weight of fondant.
I always decorate in a cool room so that shouldnt be a problem.
il be filling more than likly with either sugarshacks or indydebs bc recipie.

thanks for your input

brian

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 4

What did you think about the yellow cake? I've been using it for months now- I feel like I finally found a yellow I like. My husband likes wet cakes and my mother likes dry...I've managed to satisfy both with his recipe.

I did try the chocolate butter, but I didn't like how that one turned out. I usually use Dorie Greenspan's Devil's food...way more intense flavor.

The yellow hasn't failed me yet...except I recently was distracted on the phone while it finished baking- I forgot about it until the timer went off, but by then it was too brown. It was a little drier than usual- and I decided against a sugar syrup wash- which I should have done. My husband noticed it was drier than usual.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%