Would You Turn Someone In?

Business By fsinger84 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm by alvarezmom

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 44

I just found out that one of the bakers in my town is baking at her home and then selling her goods in the small cafe owned by her family. Quite frankly this makes me flaming mad. Home bakeries are illegal here which is the only thing keeping me from having an almost identical business strategy. I can't decide if I want to turn her in or not. She is gaining allot of popularity and press from her baked goods and it is all because she is acting illegally. I just want to clarify that I know she is baking the goods at home because she said it in a publication and I know it is illegal to have a home bakery because that was what I was planning to do. How would you react in this situation?

43 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 44

If her family has a cafe, it sounds like she has access to a comm'l kitchen, so why not just bite the bullet and do it right?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 44

If this info was contained in a printed article or there's a transcript of the article, I'd circle the appropriate parts and mail it to the Health Department.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 44

I'd play innocent, call her up and say that you saw the interview where she said she bakes in her home, then ask her how she got permission to do that since you thought it's illegal, but you'd like to find out how to do the same thing.

The problem that you'd run into if you did turn her in is that she'll just say that she uses the kitchen at the cafe (if there is one) and they wouldn't be able to prove otherwise, most likely.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #5 of 44

If she's getting the publicity, chances are the HD will take notice sooner or later.....if they're doing their job, that is.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 44

I tend to mind my own business.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:51am
post #7 of 44

The kitchen at the café might not be approved for baked goods.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #8 of 44

No way would I turn her in. It's not my business what she does, at least with her business. If she is illegal and publicizes it she will get caught. What would it do for you to turn her in? icon_confused.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:17am
post #9 of 44

It cuts the competition if they turn her in.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:33am
post #10 of 44

I tend to notice the people that want to turn someone in always seems to stem from jealousy...though I know EVERY OP who has asked about this subject all claim its from there DEEP SENSE of MORALITY of the illegal baker perpetrating such a crime. Do you want you want to do, but don't say you want to do it cause you hate to see such a crime committed. The state I live in allows in-home baking, but there are still some people that do it illegally. I know a woman that has been doing it for 19 years. Shes not a threat to me, I could careless about the competition, legal or otherwise. And as they say, "God doesn't like ugly"!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:37am
post #11 of 44

If you had a legal business and she was operating illegally and taking your customers, I could see why you would want to turn her in. But since you don't have a business, it seems like you would just be doing it out of spite, unless you're really concerned that she might make someone ill with her baking.

One of my neighbors makes empanadas in her apartment and sells them to restaurants. Her whole living room is full of freezers. It's definitely illegal...but it's not affecting me in any way, so I've never considered turning her in. She's more likely to make someone sick because her empanadas have meat and fish in them but she doesn't have a lot of job opportunities and her husband works at taco bell, so I figure she's just doing what she has to to feed her family.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:42am
post #12 of 44

Just remember what is said in so many ways:
- what goes around, comes around.
-you reap what you sow.
-.....karma
'nuf said.

sweet-thing Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:45am
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakequeen50

Just remember what is said in so many ways:
- what goes around, comes around.
-you reap what you sow.
-.....karma
'nuf said.

My feelings exactly.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:10am
post #14 of 44

@ the empanadas story -

That's what I don't get about Texas. The permit the mobile food carts and trucks left and right and we know how gross those are, but they won't allow home baking. It's easier for her to get permitted than a baker. So frustrating!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:13am
post #15 of 44

Give me an honest answer, why is it making you flaming mad?

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:01am
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

She is running an illegal business similar to the business I want to start but will not because it is illegal. By the time I am able to get my business working legally she will have profited greatly and taken away part of my potential market. I am also interested to see if she "gets away with it" because if home bakery laws don't matter lets all just do what we want willy nilly" (I will not do this but am saying it to make a point). I also do have some concerns regarding food safety and new bakeries opening in the area. I will admit that a majority of the emotions behind thinking this over stem from being envious of her illegal success. I never claimed to not be jealous. If I wanted to be all aggressive about it I would have just flamed her online and called her in without thinking it all over, I would like to think I have more of a brain than that.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:09pm
post #17 of 44

What sort of things is she selling at her family's cafe? Is she making Wedding, Birthday, Anniversary type cakes? or Just making scones, muffins, cupcakes, cookies etc?

Just curious.

sweet-thing Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #18 of 44

Even though we all feel it now and then, I just don't believe things should be done out of spite or envy. I totally understand that you would want to turn her in but think about why you would be doing it. That is one of the great things about this site. You can come here and vent to people who understand. icon_smile.gif

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:26pm
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger84

Quote:

She is running an illegal business similar to the business I want to start but will not because it is illegal. By the time I am able to get my business working legally she will have profited greatly and taken away part of my potential market. I am also interested to see if she "gets away with it" because if home bakery laws don't matter lets all just do what we want willy nilly" (I will not do this but am saying it to make a point). I also do have some concerns regarding food safety and new bakeries opening in the area. I will admit that a majority of the emotions behind thinking this over stem from being envious of her illegal success. I never claimed to not be jealous. If I wanted to be all aggressive about it I would have just flamed her online and called her in without thinking it all over, I would like to think I have more of a brain than that.

Hi,

I would not turn her in. If I were you, I would start my business the right way (legally). I would have the whole marketing thing down pact. I would go to Vista Print and get my business cards, get me a nice website (you can get through Vista print too), and start doing cakes for friends, etc. Word of mouth is an excellent way to market your business. Also, if you have kids, make up some nice homemade flyers and have them help your pass them out. Make your product stand out. Remember, no cakes taste the same, even if they look identical.

HTH

Benisha

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:53pm
post #20 of 44

I'm going to play devils advocate here....I'm not taking sides on this one just a got a question that perked my interest.....
So What I am reading above is that the majority would NOT turn her in...Karma, jealousy, spite, etc. Even though she is breaking the law.
Ok, so here is my question....
Following the above logic then that means if you saw super hot Catherine Zeta-Jones (Who for argument sake we could all say we would not mind having a bum like hers!) Doing something illegal say drinking and driving...you would NOT turn her in???
.....Hmmmmm

Ok now I know you'll say "Well I would she could kill someone or herself!"
My retort....well if you aren't following safe food practice and food safe methods..you could also kill someone! (watch Kitchen Nightmares)

Ok just my thoughts......
I still follow my motto.... everyone has their OWN opinion...and it will be different then YOURS... thats why it's THEIRS!!!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-thing

No way would I turn her in. It's not my business what she does, at least with her business. If she is illegal and publicizes it she will get caught. What would it do for you to turn her in? icon_confused.gif

I'm with the PP's. I like to mind my own business! If someone gets sick from her cooking, then she will be liable. There is way to much drama in todays society and I just tend to avoid it and worry about me.[/quote]

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:15pm
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger84

I totally understand your thoughts about this--thanks for the explanation.
I don't however understand why you would care if she has "profited greatly".

Here is my input: It seems like you are more concerned of competition rather than food safety--which is natural. You basically don't want her to do business (legally or not) because you will get affected once you start your own. I don't blame you, that is totally normal.

"Personally", since I believe that everyone has the right to live their dreams, I would call her and let her know that there is a way to sell cakes legally. Maybe she doesn't know about the laws, hey who knows? Maybe she knew it is illegal but tries to get away with it. The fact that you called her, she would be aware of what she is doing and then realize whether she should continue selling cakes illegally or start doing it legally.

This is a chance to help others, not to bring others down. It is better to teach than just make someone's life worse.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesha

Hi,

I would not turn her in. If I were you, I would start my business the right way (legally). I would have the whole marketing thing down pact. I would go to Vista Print and get my business cards, get me a nice website (you can get through Vista print too), and start doing cakes for friends, etc. Word of mouth is an excellent way to market your business. Also, if you have kids, make up some nice homemade flyers and have them help your pass them out. Make your product stand out. Remember, no cakes taste the same, even if they look identical.

HTH

Benisha

I completely agree!

Quote:

I totally understand your thoughts about this--thanks for the explanation.
I don't however understand why you would care if she has "profited greatly".

Here is my input: It seems like you are more concerned of competition rather than food safety--which is natural. You basically don't want her to do business (legally or not) because you will get affected once you start your own. I don't blame you, that is totally normal.

"Personally", since I believe that everyone has the right to live their dreams, I would call her and let her know that there is a way to sell cakes legally. Maybe she doesn't know about the laws, hey who knows? Maybe she knew it is illegal but tries to get away with it. The fact that you called her, she would be aware of what she is doing and then realize whether she should continue selling cakes illegally or start doing it legally.

This is a chance to help others, not to bring others down. It is better to teach than just make someone's life worse.

I agree with this as well!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:10pm
post #24 of 44

I wouldn't turn someone in because I mind my own business. I don't call the police every time I see someone speed or run a red light.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #25 of 44

Can someone explain to me why, when the topic of turning in people who are operating illegally comes up, people start screeching about karma and minding your own business, but when someone is using someone else's pictures on their website it's all torches and pitchforks and GET THEM GET THEM?

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm
post #26 of 44

I think it's different because "get them" for displaying false cakes on their website would be to tell them that you know what they're doing and that they shouldn't pretend that something is theirs when it's not, not necessarily getting them fined or arrested for selling their own work.

I'm like the OP that I would love to have a business, but wouldn't do it because it is illegal. That doesn't mean that if the lady next door has a great business from her home that I would want to turn her in and ruin her life. I guess I just don't care either way. Not my problem.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm
post #27 of 44

Why does this comment come up every other week now? Are people just trying to stir up problems and drama?

Look, some people would turn her in, and others wouldn't. Some people thinks it is wrong to turn her in, some people think that it's wrong to bake from home. The two sides will never agree or convince the other to believe what they believe.

Can we stop talking about this topic now? It's starting to get ridiculous.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #28 of 44

I do work in a licensed kitchen and I know of SEVERAL people around me who do not. Does it bother me? No, because I have all the business I want right now. They are not taking away business from me so I don't care what they do. icon_smile.gif If they did take business away from me, that would give me more time to sit on my big butt and enjoy some tv and bon bons icon_smile.gif

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:09am
post #29 of 44

I'd reckon that besides this one lady that you know about there is at least a couple of other people that you don't know about who are selling baked goods/cakes illegally in your town.

It happens, you can't control who is doing it legally or illegally. Heck not even the health inspectors seem to have a firm grasp of it in any town/city that I've heard of.

The only thing you can control is how you are going to operate, don't waste time worrying about how others are living their lives. Use your energy to take your life and business in the direction that you choose to follow.

SandraVB79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraVB79 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:22am
post #30 of 44

It's not because her kitchen is illegal that therefor there is an issue regarding food safety.
I think I'd rather have cake from an illegal clean kitchen than from a dirty legal kitchen (Kitchen nightmares anyone?).

Just my 2 cts of course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%