Calling The Experts In Cake Toppers !!!

Decorating By vlk Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm by txnonnie

vlk Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 7

I am lost.. I can not find the answers for the Monogram/Number cake toppers?

Break it down for me... Gum paste or Fondant ? Dowel ? Whimisical curls...

They are so cute, but each time I have tried to make them they break when I pick them up ??? They look really good laying on the tray.. which does me no good.. LOL... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

TIA - TIA - TIA

Vicki

6 replies
Price Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 7

I have made stand up numbers from fondant with a little tylose powder added. I have also made number toppers out of royal icing. For those I use sucker sticks. You have to leave them dry really good before using them.

vlk Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 7

How thick do they need to be ?.. I am one of those touchy feely people .. if i saw one "in person" I would get it !!

Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #4 of 7

I am not an expert but I know what you are talking about. Basically you should be using gumpaste, gumpaste/fondant mixture or fondant with tylose added. The reason for that is to keep it's shape and to get the letters dry faster. You would have to use skewers to support it (so it stands up perfectly) or something similar.

As for the thickness, it really depends on how thick you want it to be. That being said, it's a personal preference.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:37am
post #5 of 7

I make mine at least a week in advance. I want those suckers bone dry by the time they go on the cake. I am making GP bows for a gift box cake due Saturday, I'm starting too late for my likes as it is.

vlk Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 7

Okay, this sounds good - I will put it to the test this weekend. I think mine where maybe too thin and not dry enough. ONCE AGAIN.. patience ... patience... patience....

Can not thank you enough -
Vicki

txnonnie Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 7

I have used fondant with tylose and let it dry for several days. I have recently been using 50/50 fondant/gumpaste and still let it dry for several days. If you are using wire to insert with, you will need to insert while still soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%