Need Help With Hairline Cracks In Buttercream Icing

Decorating By rfeagin Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 5:43am by Faithbound

rfeagin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfeagin Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 5

HELP!. My cake was perferctly iced and smoothed last night, but when I checked on it this morning, there were cracks everywhere. I used high-ratio shortening and my icing was smooth and not thick. I had plenty of time to smooth it before the regular crusting started. I put the finished product in the frig and this morning it had cracks everywhere.

Also, now that it has cracks, how do I fix them?????!!!

4 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 5

I was beautuful until you moved it.....sounds like you might need a sturdier cake board.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 5

I agree. It sounds like a support problem. This happened to me all the time, especially with sheet cakes, until I started using double foam board or wood as a base.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 5

Try doubling up your boards (make sure the cardboard grains are going in different directions). Or, if you want, you could just make it on a wooden board. I usually do for larger cakes.

Faithbound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faithbound Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:43am
post #5 of 5

You need to make sure the board will hold the weight of the cake. You can usually fix the cracks once you create a more sturdy surface. Just use a viva paper towel. Place the paper towel over the cracks and run your fingertips over to smooth. Only works for crusted buttercream; which in this case it should be. Hope it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%