Give Recaps Of Ices 09 To Other Cc Members

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm by nefgaby

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 9:48pm
post #31 of 88

So this is what happens when you are on a hotel computer and forgot you are not at home. I am at ICES and logged onto the site and wrote the post which is shown as posted by ChefAngie above - hit send button and then realized that Chef Angie must have been on the computer before me and not logged out because once I see the post I realize it is shown as her post and not mine. Chef Angie, I apologize for not noticing that before I started in on that - the post is mine. If you see me at banquet tonight please feel free to knock me on the head icon_smile.gif

Nancy Linstead

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm
post #32 of 88

That is fine.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:09pm
post #33 of 88

Oh my goodness, sound like lots of fun.

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:09pm
post #34 of 88

linstead, you must have been a lot luckier than everybody else I've talked to that has stayed onsite. We have heard so much griping about the facilities that I've been grateful they were booked & I ended up at the Hampton Inn. I've heard people claim their toilet only worked half of the time, worn out furnishings in their rooms, given a king bed with a pull out bed instead of the double queens booked, etc. Personally, I haven't seen any of the rooms so can't say, but quite honestly, you are the first person who's staying onsite that has told me anything positive about their quarters.

The demos have been superb, the guided tour last night was great, the vendor room is filled with lots of goodies of all kinds and the volunteers have been super helpful. However, everything is spread out too far & some things have been very hard to find. Pheasant Run has all kinds of cute shops located there, but the majority of them have been closed--including the Ben & Jerry.

This experience has me anxious to get to come to ICES again. Between the conversations, vendor displays & demos I have learned a TON.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:37pm
post #35 of 88

I mean the water coulda been hotter for the showers but dude we were upgraded to a suite and my room rate was dropped twenny bucks ~~we loved our room--yes our toilet needed to be plunged once but housekeeping took care of that. It was a beautiful beautiful place. we had like at least a 20 foot ceiling and a huge loft where the view was overlooking the pond. It was lovely, really nice.

We had tv upstairs and downstairs--I don't know I dug it.

The window was like 20 feet tall too--it was awesome.

The only other ICES I was at was Vegas and so this one was compact and cheerful. All the hotel staff were very courteous and considerate.

The grounds were incredible. Food was good. If I get CMSA it'll be perfect. icon_lol.gif Still waiting....should know soon.... AGHHHHH!!!

sugarycreations Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #36 of 88

Glad somebody else has been pleased with their room. As I said, I don't know about the rooms except for what I've heard. Sure am glad not everybody has had a bad experience.

Have you done any classes? Considering how cool the demos have been , I just can't imagine how awesome the classes must be.

This is my first ICES & I'm enjoying it.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:48am
post #37 of 88

OMG, I'm so jealous I could cry!!! icon_smile.gif I went to ICES last year but was not able to go this year, thank you all for sharing your pics! Now I'm curious, any new AMAZING toys??? How were the vendors? That is my favorite part of ICES icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif Did caljava sell fondant {fondex} at $1 a pound this year again???

Did anyone take Rebecca Sutterby's demo???? If anyone did, would love to know how it went icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:48am
post #38 of 88

Hey everyone!! I spoted James Roselle (spelling?) and Lauren (I think) Kitchens, the one that did the Elmo cake and Mary Poppings. I'm hoping to see them agian tomorrow so I can get more pics. icon_smile.gif I chatted with Mike's assistant today and there were a couple other food network challengers that have been here too. I think it is cool because this is the first convention that I have seen anyone them besides Norm, Nic and Kerry (they were ICES people before they were food network 'stars').

I haven't looked at the ICES site, that is so cool my cake was there!! I showed the link off to my family. icon_wink.gif

Ohhh the shopping! I have spent too much already, and yet I want to keep buying. I'll have to sleep on it and see how much I can and want to spend tomorrow. So far I have enjoyed every demo I have gone too. Right now lot of them are blurred together. When I get home I'll have to make some notes of who I saw give a demo and who I'd see again. I'll have to type up all my notes so I can read what I wrote done in the future. I am really going to go home and try out some of things I have bought. Especially if it encourages Marie to branch out and try new things. HeHe!!

Tomorrow I have three demo's and in between them I think I'll be hanging out in the vendor room. I also need to do a trip through the cake room again. I went in for a few mins today between demo's but my camera batteries were running low so I didn't get many pictures. I'll go through with my family at some point tomorrow.

On the Color101 demo, you'll have to share what you learned with us. I wanted to do that one, but there was another one at that same time that won out. Sometimes it is so hard to pick!

Oh I have an extra stand by ticket, if anyone wants it they can have it free if they find me. I had decided Thursday morning I didn't want to get up that early and I've been in demo's most of the other time slots so I haven't been able to use it and won't be able to use it tomorrow either.

I skipped out on the banquet tonight. Ya'll have to tell me how it was. I ended up taking a nap for an hour around 8. I miss my bed so much!! I also had start packing up tonight. We check out while I am over at demo's tomorrow so I had to get my things in order. Is it bad when you have a smallish pile of item and think there is no way they could have cost as much as you spent? That's the only thing about cake stuff. They are small items with bigger price tags, not big items with big price tags!

I've enjoyed the convention. Things are spread out, but with what all is going on it is hard to get it all in one small area. I'm glad only one thing is upstairs, because I have been to several that the convention was on different floors. That gets old.

I also learn something new, meet new people and buy more things than I need. I also am usually ready for the convention to end (so I can catch up on sleep) and start looking forward to the next one right away! San Deigo, here I come! I hope anyway. HeHe.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:19am
post #39 of 88

I've been enjoying the convention.

I am staying onsite, and my room is awesome. 11th floor, floor to ceiling window that looks out on the golf course, fridge, microwave, newly redone room. Hot water as soon as I turn on the shower, effective AC. I guess I was lucky there. The food SUCKS. No real choices, and apparently they don't believe in espresso...just crappy coffee. I guess since I am from California I just expect too much in the way of espresso. Also, some female issues hit, and I basically had to whore myself out for tampons (maybe they don't believe in those, either?). They definitely need more food options. I also had the foresight to book myself a pedicure at the spa, so that was nice.

The general meeting was boring as hell, but I left so no biggie...heard I missed some pretty big fireworks, though icon_smile.gif

Good demos; some could have been better but that is how it goes. There are MANY more demos/classes at Cake Camp. I still may decide to go to that, or send the hubs. ICES=vendors, whereas Cake Camp=classes.

All in all a pretty good time! I will definitely be going to the one in San Diego, and it has also convinced me to get more involved with ICES.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:22am
post #40 of 88

sugarycreations, where were you at the shop owners breakfast? I too thought it was a Wilton infomercial. Felt bad for the people from another country or for the bakers that couldn't really get anything out of it.

I did enjoy meeting new people though. Stephen Benison was at my table...I didn't even realize he was someone I should know!

sugarycreations Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:39am
post #41 of 88

I was at the second table on the left at the front of the shipowners breakfast.

I'll be at the Basic Techniques of Fondant & Impression Mats at 9:30. Then later I'll be at the one where you get shown how to make a traveling cake box. Really wanted in Cake Contracts but no luck. Sarah was sick most of the day today. I left her ticket for Dominick's class Making Your Own Molds on top of the note I left for CCers. Hope somebody was able to use it.

I was really glad to see Earlene Moore made a hall of famed. I studied & learned so much from her website way befoe I knew about cakecentral.com or ICES.

Will write more tomorrow; I'm tired! Oh, I am planning on attending the evening of sharing tomorrow night. We're not leaving until Monday AM

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:40am
post #42 of 88

I am assuming that vendors have suppliers cheaper at the convention?

-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #43 of 88

Here's my disappointment about ICES this year--no notification about CMSA~they knew I had to come home early~there were only 11 of us. I had a friend at the banquet and she told me that I didn't make it.

Clearly I should have been more organized.

Clearly ICES should be more organized and notify the candidates ~~ the only method of communication we have used is email and the airwaves are clear and quiet.

Congratulations to those who made it!

sugarycreations Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #44 of 88

linstead, you must have been a lot luckier than everybody else I've talked to that has stayed onsite. We have heard so much griping about the facilities that I've been grateful they were booked & I ended up at the Hampton Inn. I've heard people claim their toilet only worked half of the time, worn out furnishings in their rooms, given a king bed with a pull out bed instead of the double queens booked, etc. Personally, I haven't seen any of the rooms so can't say, but quite honestly, you are the first person who's staying onsite that has told me anything positive about their quarters.

The demos have been superb, the guided tour last night was great, the vendor room is filled with lots of goodies of all kinds and the volunteers have been super helpful. However, everything is spread out too far & some things have been very hard to find. Pheasant Run has all kinds of cute shops located there, but the majority of them have been closed--including the Ben & Jerry.

This experience has me anxious to get to come to ICES again. Between the conversations, vendor displays & demos I have learned a TON.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #45 of 88

Reading all these ICES threads puts me in awe. I wanted to go so bad.

Anyways, I am definitely planning on going next year in San Diego. If I were to bring someone my fiance with me, who lives in a San Diego and does not reside with me, does he also need to get a membership?

-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #46 of 88

oops

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #47 of 88

Did they happen to announce where the next one will be held yet?

I wish I could have gone this year, but we just bought a new house and in the process of moving in for September 1. Lots of work. Ugh! Not to mention I have cakes on September 12 and 26. Double Ugh! Not the cakes, but the timing. LOL

-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:06pm
post #48 of 88

San Diego is what I heard then South Carolina then Reno

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #49 of 88

Thank you K8! icon_biggrin.gif

LambrinieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambrinieCakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #50 of 88

Do you have to be a member of ICES to attend the conventions? If so, how do you become one?

TIA

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #51 of 88

Thank you so much for a great cake show? The ICES staff and volunteers were so helpful. Again thanks. It was my first time to attend ICES and it was wonderful experience.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:28am
post #52 of 88

Ices.org will have information about the upcoming conventions.
August 12 - August 15, 2010: San Diego, California
August 4 - August 7, 2011: Charlotte, North Carolina

They did announce that the 1212 convention will be held in Reno. I'm guessing they will update the site with that information as well.

Once does not have to be an ICES member to go to the convention, but if you are a member you get a discounted rate on the convention. Even after paying the $60 membership fee the member rate is cheaper than the non member.

If someone wants to go to the convention but isn't going to particapte in the demo's and such then the registered member can buy extra breakfast and banquet tickets so the person with them can join in on a few things. If you want to watch or do any of the demo's then you have to be a registered member. And there are some places with in the convention only registered members are allowed.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:49am
post #53 of 88

I am soooooo tired!!! I am currently in Springfield, Il. We are breaking the trip home into two parts. Right now I'm just ready to be there! Elle, my elephant that I made in the hands on demo with Zane, has been taped to the top of one of my cake boxes for the ride home. Apparently she had a busy morning. While I was watching demo's she was riding the my mom's lap seeing the country side. She got her picture take with the Wissconson and Il state signs. The baby with her lost an ear somewhere along the way, then another ear. When we were putting all my cakes (well minus one, we needed the box for everything that was bought on the trip) I went ahead and removed the baby from the board. She was looking pitiful. I have a picture of her I'll have to post. Elle is currently gaurding the car and has become the fun joke of the trip home.

I spent way more money than I had planned to, but that is usually how it goes at these things. I did enjoy the demo's I did. There were some really good one that I am glad I did. And I enjoyed meeting my new cake friends! Too bad ya'll all live so far from me!

This girl has better go to sleep so she can get up in the morning and be ready to hit the road. I have already decided that before the new cake stuff gets put with the old I am making lists of it so I can eventually get an inventory list going. I gotta figure out a way to keep up with all I have.

Hope everyone has/had a save trip home!!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #54 of 88

Did anyone hear who won the election? President? I was at the convention but had to leave Saturday afternoon to head back and was curious.

pat

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #55 of 88

THANKS TexasSugar for the info, I REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate it. How much does it cost to get in the convention (with and without membership)? I wanted to know just to get a general idea. I am surely going next year but need to know my personal budget.

DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #56 of 88

leepat, I don't remember the winners of all the executive offices, but Glenda Galvez did get re-elected for a second term. I am just now starting to sift through all my papers and convention notes.

This was my first ICES and I had a WONDERFUL time! Even if you come alone and do not know a soul, you will meet fabulous people and have a great time. I know it's renewed my passion and enthusiasm. So make every effort and save every nickel to get yourself to San Diego in 2010. OK, enough, I'll get off my soapbox now.

As soon as my technical adviser gets home from work to help me, I hope to put some pictures here.

I hope everyone has safe journeys home.

To Loucinda, thank you for the beautiful name badge buttons. I will keep it safe and wear it next ICES. Also, thank you for encouraging me to join ICES in the first place.

To k8memphis, I saw your certification test pieces and they were AWESOME. You are so talented! I don't know what criteria they award CMSA but they looked perfect to me. Will you try again in San Diego?

To BeckyLynn, mkm25 and Nannie, I'm so glad I had the opportunity to meet you all and introduce myself. I sure hope to see you next ICES. I'll try to be more of a regular on CC.

To TexasSugar, I can't thank you enough for befriending me and helping me through my first ICES. If you ever get up this way again, look me up. Please stay in touch.

To all those cake friends posting here that I have yet to meet, I hope to catch up with you in San Diego.

Happy decorating, everyone!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #57 of 88

Hi there - actually I was across the street at the Hilton Garden Suites - we booked too late to get room at Pheaston Run. Hilton was beautiful, very quiet and had a good restaurant. Plus a bit closer to the banquet hall and a short walk across the street to the conference venue. Did not see any of the rooms at Pheaston Run.

Thnigs will not be as spread out next year in San Diego. The hotel is large but laid out in more of a square/rectangular pattern so hopefully everyone will be able to get around easily. And only 15 minutes from the airport!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:46pm
post #58 of 88

I was without internet for a couple days and am so far behind on real life icon_cry.gif

As a first timer I had a wonderful experience. I live in the area so was able to commute. (I doubt if I would be able to travel to do this so I'm grateful they came to me)

At TexasSugars insistance and encouragement, I brought 2 cakes (they are in my pics). They are way more advanced than I'd ever done before and was still a little shy about bringing them but once there, I felt they had cakes of all skill levals and I was proud to show mine off (when I arrived, I hid them in the back of the room not knowing that was really the front so when people came in, there were my little cakes front and center icon_redface.gif

Everyone was so friendly. I kept bumping into Lucinda (thanks again for the cool badges), saw Antie Em in the cake room a couple of times and shared the Ruth Ricky demo with Texas and DuncanHines.

I learned so much:

I took the pansy-violet hands on class from Nic Lodge. so professional, kind and patient.

Making Faces with Bronwen Weber who is so much fun. (my funny looking man is in my pics, I gave him a comb over icon_lol.gif )

Demos were:

Mexican Paste tea cup and saucer with Kim Morrison. wonderful and sweet person

Life sized queen of the night flower with Rosalinda Chan (very exotic flower but the camera man was terrible)

Geletan Bows fun, fun, fun and can't wait to do

double tulips with Ruth Ricky. so down to earth and talented

father of the bride with maisie parrish. again, such a sweet person with a wonderful way of injecting humor into her figures. amazing details.

spent way to much $$$ but as duncanhines said, it inspired me to try new things.

cakeicer0840 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeicer0840 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #59 of 88

Convention was wonderful. It was a long way from Georgia to Chicago. We took 2 days to go and 2 days to get back. Lots of traffic tieups, luckily on the other side of the highway from us. Too many Interstates in Chicago and too many tolls. We went through one and have to send in our 80 cents. Our hotel was Pheasant Run and we have no compliants. We were on the 15th floor of the tower, overlooking the airport and golf course. Beautiful room. I know that some of the rooms looked like they would not have been ideal. Everything was spread out.
the breakfast left alot to be desired. The menu said that they would have baked Roma tomato, croissants, danish and muffins. We had doughnuts, no toast, nothing to eat with the eggs. You know how southerners are. Have to have bread. The guided tour Friday night was great. The banquet had good food. I received a $500 scholarship. We left early Sunday.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:28am
post #60 of 88

congratulations on the scholarship thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%