Newspaper Interview And Any Regrets

Business By PartyCake Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 3:30am by PartyCake

PartyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PartyCake Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 9

I am being interviewed on Friday for our local newspaper for my new business which is great but I have no idea what questions I will be asked. I plan to sit down and jot down all the points I want to make in addition to hopefully answering the reporters questions intelligently. Has anyone had an article and after it came out realized they forgot to make a very important point? I feel like after the reporter leaves I will forget what I wanted to get across and then it will be too late.

The ironic thing is my daughter is majoring in Journalism and was named the outstanding Freshmen journalism student at her college so I guess she could do a mock interview with me. Since she has obviously never owned a business though she might not realize how important this type of advertising opportunity is. My Grand Opening is on August 8th and the reporter promised me the article would appear before then which would be another freebie but I want to be fullly prepared.

8 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 9

speak in sound bites and don't ramble. Prepare a few "blurbs" about your business so when you say something, it should be around one of those sound bites. You don't know what they will edit or use from your interview, so you want to make sure that what you do say gets your story across.

They are going to ask you questions that will answer: who, what, when, where, why, and how. Sounds like basic English class, but that is how articles are written. The most important info will be at the top, then "filler" info is at the bottom.

If you look at the articles on CNN or another news site, you see that the major details are in the first and/or second paragraphs,, the rest is just extra.

So whatever you say should answer the 5 W's and H, rule.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 9

First off, don't panic, and don't get all in a tizzy.

I was just interviewed by our local paper last week. It helped with me that I knew the reporter. (I know her from our school where my kids go).

The paper will be out this Wed. so I'll see just how much of a "dork" I made myself look like. icon_wink.gif

I would say, just keep in your mind what information you would like everyone to know about your business. Do you offer something special that others in your area don't? Let the reporter know the little things you do in your business that will make you stand out.

Let us know how it goes. icon_biggrin.gif

Relax, it will be just fine. thumbs_up.gif

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:52am
post #4 of 9

And when it is printed, post it here so your cake family can read it too!!!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 9

What is the purpose of the article? Why did she approach you? Is it because of the grand opening - thus the focus of the story will be "bakery xyz is opening"? Is your business part of a bigger piece - aka you're not the only source? Is it a wedding-type article?

It's very important to know what the focus of the article will be so you can be prepared. If it's only about this new funky bakery in town, then you will be asked more questions regarding your history and you. If it's a wedding-type article, they the majority of the questions will focus on advice to brides or how the economy has changed brides buying methods.

EDITED TO ADD:
I say this is important because that way you can relate whatever you are talking about back to the focus of the story. Connect the dots for her so she can see how revelent you are to the story.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 9

tell "the story"

newsreporting is story telling -- not essay writing.

develop "an angle" (aka "the slant") -- the unique way in which your story is interpreted.

have "a hook" -- just like it sounds, something very interesting that will draw the reader in and want to know more.

"It all began when her mother said "No, I won't make you a birthday cake. We'll get one at the grocery store." It culminates this Thursday with the grand opening of "A Little Slice of Heaven", Springfield's new custom cake bakery.

Not to be stopped by her mom, "FINE! Then I'll make it MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!" she shouted as she stomped out the kitchen, hopped on her bike and when to the local book store to look for a book on cake decorating.

Emma T. Space didn't realize then that her first purchase of 1969 Wilton Cake Yearbook would start a life long obsession with all things cake that would cluminate in her opening her own cake shop, A Little Slice of Heaven, 40 years later.

This Thursday all of Springfield will get a chance to taste their own little slice of heaven starting at 10a.m. when Emma passes out free samples during her grand opening event. Assisting her will be her good friend Marge Simpson and her daughter Lisa.

etc.

PartyCake Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #7 of 9

Thanks. I feel better now. Any advertisement is better than no advertisement at all, especially when it's free.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #8 of 9

Doug rules!

PartyCake Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #9 of 9

The article about my new business came out and I had a good turnout at my Grand Opening.

http://www.lakecountyjournals.com/articles/2009/08/03/91706280/

Just when you think you are going in the right direction though I received the news that the person I was subleasing the space from is closing the business and I can't afford the rent there so I have to find another location. That will be my focus this week and it certainly won't be the last obstacle in running a business. I guess everything is meant for a reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%