Extruding Fondant

Decorating By afunk Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm by sunshine74

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 9

I am looking for the best way to extrude fondant. I know there is a sugarpaste gun but I need to do it this Friday and can't wait for one to be shipped. Has anyone used the Kitchenaid pasta extruding attachment to do this? I am making a cake with the grass skirt (inspired by what I found here! Thanks!) Any suggestions would be a great help!!

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 9

I think for a grass skirt you could just roll the fondant thin and cut it with a wheel cutter. Most of the grass skirts I've seen were flat strips, so that would be easy to do.

afunk Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it as a back-up plan. I really like the look of AsburyArt's grass skirt here:   http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1292063.html it is more dimensional than the flat rolled skirts.
Any more suggestions??
Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 9

For something like that, you do need the clay gun. You can get it at a craft store...I bought the Makins one at Hobby Lobby. It was $25 but I used one of their coupons. This week they've got a 25% off coupon http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm?page=2 It has a tip that will make lots of very thin strands at once. You'll want to knead some extra shortening into your fondant to make it easy to extrude.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 9

Try using the pasta extruder. I can't see why it won't work. Just make sure you soften up the fondant a bit with shortening. I have seen people use electric cookie presses for fondant as well.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:40am
post #6 of 9

You could always try your pasta extruder but if it doesn't work for (ie doesn't have the size your looking for then do as Texas_Rose suggested and head on out to a craft supply store or a cake decorating supply store and get yourself a clay gun. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #7 of 9

Yes, you can use the pasta extruder.

afunk Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:37am
post #8 of 9

Thank you everyone for your help! I will definitely try the pasta extruder. (I always love something that will multitask in my kitchen anyway! icon_wink.gif )

sunshine74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshine74 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 9

Did you feed the fondant thru the maching to get the grass skirt effect? I am trying to duplicate the look for a cake I am working on and have had no luck would love your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%