Prince's "1999" Cake Ideas

Decorating By this-mama-rocks Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 12:58am by Eisskween

this-mama-rocks Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 5

I have an order for a joint man and woman's b-day cake with the "1999" cover art theme. I am doing purple BC tiers; bottom tier is square with paisley design, middle round tier has white dots from the album/CD cover art, top round tier is a purple fondant jacket & collar with white fondant ruffled shirt collar. The topper is "090909", done like the cover art, on wires coming out of the top of the shirt collar.

Customer can't afford a "true" whimsical/topsy turvy, but wants that look for the "Let's Go Crazy" aspect to the cake. I will use styro wedges between tiers to do the angles, but I don't know how to decorate them. Flowers seem too feminine, doves seem too wedding-ish, just covering them in the purple BC seems too plain. I thought of having that weird love symbol-thingy on wires, but it might compete too much with the topper. My only solution so far is poufs of thick black netting.

Any ideas, fellow Prince fans??

4 replies
this-mama-rocks Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #2 of 5

Doug Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #3 of 5

emboss or applique his "symbol" on the fondant covered wedges?

put "bling" on the wedges (jewels? dragees?)

this-mama-rocks Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the input, Doug!

Eisskween Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 5

You might get away with the doves. Just put a tear at their eye. He has a song, "When Doves Cry." Maybe, if you are feeling ambitous, a "Little Red Corvette?" Prince is tough. You have some really good ideas there though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%